Deep Learning Workstation

Hi there, long time viewer of LevelOneTech’s news but never checked out the forums til now because I’ve got a question.

I’m looking to source a couple of deep learning workstations, optimized for inference if possible. I’d prefer not to get into the business of building these workstations myself, so I’ve identified a couple of enterprise options like:

LambdaLabs-Quad
System76-Leopard
Etc…

Now google will give you link after link to different workstation providers, but does anyone have experience with buying a deep learning workstation from one of these companies, or even any recommendations or advice? My throughput requirements aren’t set in stone yet, but I need the flexibility to add up to 4 NVIDIA GPUs. Thanks in advance!

@Caldor

I have no personal experience with them.

1 Like

I have only been experimenting with Deep Learning as a hobby. I bought the RTX 2080Ti, and it sure has a load of CUDA cores, but I have some trouble figuring out how to use the Tensor Cores this GPU has with TensorFlow. I might try to install the newest version of the Machine Learning plugin for Unity that Unity Technologies provide and see how well it runs. I will probably have to update python and more, so not sure if I will get any results today.

Sounds like the use case here is more on the industrial level, so I do not have much relevant advice I think… but I would suspect the RTX GPUs probably makes sense in a multi-GPU workstation… on the other hand I think there are expansion cards you can get that only have TensorCores for example, and that might be better for actual workstations.<

This is all mainly speculation though. I am interested in what might be the other answers in this thread.

1 Like

Depends on budget…
If you can wait for few months then RTX Titan will launch which probably be similar configuration to RTX Quadro 6000 with Full TU102 with 24GB memory for around $3k.

Also intel core i9 9980xe (supports 44 PCI Express Lanes)…

You should talk to Puget systems… they’ll provide better guidance as per you requirements…

RTX Titan will launch which probably be similar configuration to RTX Quadro 6000 with Full TU102 with 24GB memory for around $3k.

WOW!! There goes the complaints that the RTX 2080ti is too expensive!!

Different purpose card… RTX Quadro 6000 is over $6k… sure 2080ti is expensive for gaming…

A friend of mine spent some time trying to get it to work in Gentoo, and claims to have made it run. … I got his old 1080ti on the cheap.

Yup, I know. I’m not convinced the RTX 2080ti is intended for gamers, at least the gamers that don’t buy Titan class cards.
I half expect the RTX Titan, if there is one, to be close to a $2000 card. THough, since the Titan V only came out last year and they were asking for $3000 and Turing is pretty much identical to Volta, having a RTX Titan at under $3000 so soon after Volta may not be good marketing