Dedicated PC ethernet OR everything through Switch?

2 ethernet cables, 1 for PC, and 1 for consoles.

OR

1 ethernet cable with everything running through a switch?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Internet speed according to Speedtest: 61+Mbps/down, 11+Mbps/up (paying for 50/10)

Router: ASUS N66U

Connections: PC, PS3, (PS4 and WiiU in the future)

I don't know if my PS3 wireless is dying, or if there is a problem with my 2.4Ghz band, but i am getting an Ethernet cable next week. (random disconects from my 2.4Ghz band. and changing to better channels grants me speed, IF i am lucky enough to get connected. switched back to auto channel assign and set it to 40hz. it was 20/40, just seeing what 40 will do. online multiplayer is SOO laggy)

Won't be building my computer till the Fall, and PS4/WiiU are most likely 1-2 years away, but im wanting to plan ahead. i was all set to buy TWO 75ft cat6 ethernet cables and some nail in clips to run them to my room, but i wanted to know if it would be better to just run ONE ethernet cable and then run the PC and up to 3 consoles through a switch? ANY cons going with a switch for the PC instead of direct to the router?

There aren't any cons in using a switch vs connecting directly to the router other than maybe cost. But in terms of performance there won't be any difference. 

One thing you might try is looking at what channel your wifi is working on - if there is a lot of broadcasts all on one channel (eg. you use channel 1 and so do your neighbours) it can cause interference that can cause dropouts.  Try manually setting a channel on your modem/access point to something else (7 - 13 range is good) and see how it goes.

You can use this 

http://www.wifichannelscanner.com/

to see what channels are in use near you.

You should try to stick to channels 1, 6 and 11 as these channels don't overlap. If you're sharing a channel with your neighbour then there isn't any interference but you are sharing the bandwidth. The two networks will talk to each other to sort out the traffic. When you use a channel which overlaps with another that's when you get interference which can cause dropouts and signal degradation. So if you're neighbour is using channel 1 then you should use 6 or 11, but if they're using channel 2 you should just use 11, you could use 7 but like I said you should just stick with those three. Each channel overlaps with the two on either side so you want to keep a two channel gap between your network and other networks. If all three are being used then try each until you find the one with the best performance, but usually you want the one which has the least networks using it or the least devices.

thanks, both you guys. yeah, i shouldn't have mentioned that, kind of 2 topics in 1 XD. i used wifi anylizer on a tablet and i was on 6, which had a few others. 1 and 11 had a couple low ones each, so i used 1. my ps3 immidiately saw speeds go from 1Mbps to 14Mbps. i was so thrilled. but after a day, i just couldn't connect to my 2.4Ghz band. tried changing the channel speeds (there are THREE options. 20hz, 40hz, and 20/40). still would rarely connect. 

i just hope it isn't anything serious with my NEW asus n66u. thing was expensive lol. oh, and im all alone on my 5Ghz band ;) but PS3 can't use it :P im 99.9% sure ethernet will fix ALL my problems, as i have never had any problems on the wired PC in the living room. my new modem/router are nice. im getting 12+Mbps over what i pay for lol

well, i was looking at some 4 ports (so 5, including the Internet connection) as max would be PC/PS3/PS4/WiiU. i was going to get one anyways when i got a second console. but if i can avoid a second cable, would be awesome. 

any recommendations, or things i should look out for when getting a switch? i was looking at this one. 

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG105-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00C1DN6ZA/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403691145&sr=1-17&keywords=switch

That one will work just fine. Really unless you need to use VLANs or link aggregation and stuff like that then any switch is as good as another. 

yeah, i don't need a managed switch. ill just look for one with good reviews come this November. Thanks :)