Decrapify Windows 10 (March 4th 2018 edition)

literally turning on your webcam and watching you while you sleep.

yes thats in the terms and service agreement

no im not joking.

yes i wish i was joking too =/

1 Like

Never heard of a lens cap?

This won't stop them from recording audio though. You'll have to unplug the damn thing for that.

2 Likes

Hi.
You guys could do the test with identical hardware: one with Windows 10 64bit the other with Windows 10 32bit.
The difference is, at least for us, was shout at our ears.

Long gone and He always avoided anything kind of technical :)

1 Like

Seem to be many threads revived from years gone by. Did you stumble onto this via the Suggested Topics section at the bottom of the screen from another thread?

Either way, thanks for doing so because I can now disable the stupid swypey lockscreen in Windows 10. Not sure why I didn't think of trying to do this before. I secretly tell my computers to F*** OFF every time they ask me to 'Slide to unlock".

Fuck Microsoft and Apple.

They have scripts the pretty much do the same thing :) I just posted the easy stuff that may address an individual issue or two. Shutting down services and a lot of reg edits get little dicier. Its does make Linux all that more pleasant.

Yeah but LTSB still contain the keyloggers.

!!! Those fucking bastards!

What is Android, Alex.

1 Like

https://www.geekuninstaller.com/ will help you uninstall the unwanted "apps" that are pre-installed.

Nah not Google, I am waiting for Valve to solve all my problems.

• Make linux into a great user friendly OS through Steam OS
  • Make VR open and amazing through the Vive and open VR
  • Make the next best game engine by releasing Source Engine 2
  • Make the best games by announging whatever they're working on "in the half life - portal universe"
  • Solve world hunger
  • Cure disease and aging
  • Half Life 3

What about Unreal Engine 4? That's a damn good engine.

Also, not sure if you're being facetious. I have no expectations of Steam OS, but I have hope still that Windows 10 and future versions slowly push the gamers to Linux.

Don't know why people ignore Steam OS, Steam links, and Steam boxes so much. And in your case, you even know linux is the way to go. So why no expectations from valve? They have the stake, they have the common sense, they have the money, they've mostly delivered high quality products, and always innovated whether in backend software, open APIs, game software, or hardware. I'm not trying to sound like a valve advert, but they are at the very least not incompetent.

And I don't want to get into a whole thing about game engine wars. I'll just say that I know both unreal and unity, and believe it or not they both suck just as much all in all. Albeit (uncostumizably) pretty, Unreal is pretty archaic and/or extremely rigid in its architecture, where for example it is almost impossible to do graphics or physics programming (or any non-mutiplayer-unreal-tournament game) but at least you have access to that rigid source code. And unity is a mess and closed source but at least has modern architecture and is customizable.

Seriously, you know what Epic's 2D platformer engine mode is in 2017? You have a Server, Clients, Spectator Pawns, a hidden frag screen, the camera is stuck on a side 3rd person view, and there are 0 changes to the way physics, rendering, etc. works. Oh and this whole engine template is just a small blueprint (e.g. a few node-based-programming nodes). Thanks brahs. XD

Aside from Source 2 (probably), the only decent engine is probably the id tech engines but they never release the latest version so I don't bother.

If this is the load of telemetry B$ you have togo through in order to enjoy your computer why not use emulation.........
There is a reason why companies like NVIDIA, and M$(especially M$) hates emulation with a passion, and that is because it is beyond their realm of control, and thus beyond their cash earnie trickies trixx....
my current setup is on windows, i watch some videos on youtube, netflix, what ever, and got steam etc installed, and maybe check some emails.
Anything else is done through a VM(Virtual box which is again free) using ubuntu mate, free of charge, very proper desktop. And best of all M$ isn't listening in on my keystrokes, nor can read my files, and memory since for them it is a black box holed memory part which is my way of saying ,,!,, M$ i enjoyed DX but thats it.

Yes. I would love to have a setup where I'm running a Linux distro as the home OS, then I have a whole bunch of Windows VMs. I keep checking every 6 months or so to see if linux is ready yet.

That way I would have Windows under a sandbox that I control, and have multiple "airgapped" copies (e.g. one that never ever talks to the internet).

But if your host is Windows, and your VM is linux, then wouldn't M$ be able to record your keystrokes? And voice, and mouse movement, and webcam etc.

Indeed.

When your host is Windows, it can capture your keystrokes in the host machine as well as in the VM.
When your host is Linux and only your guest is Windows, Windows will only capture the keystrokes entered while mouse and keyboard are assigned to the VM.

1 Like

Use NTLite (https://www.ntlite.com/) and remove everything you don’t want and use the LTSB/LTSC version.
That way nothing of that will even be installed. Though you have to re-build and re-install it everytime a new update is released.

1 Like

Oh shit NTLite looks bawler. It costs $40 for all the features (which is fine honestly).

It allows you to remove components and drivers and services in Windows. That’s super useful and really neatly organized, but there’s some problems with that:

1 - You may want to keep a component but you’d want to tweak it / neuter it / block it, instead of removing it completely. (you gotta do that yourself or with other tools)

2 - It doesn’t exactly tell you “here are the things we’ve observed are spying on you - you should remove these specific things: …” - I may not know that the Fax service is spying on me, and leave it in. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will add it to the guide.

[Edit] As for the LTSB/LTSC versions, I looked into those and they may be exactly what a lot of people want, but you will miss on that 1% of Microsoft features that you actually want to keep (for ex -some- of the UX improvements)

1 Like
1 Like