Deciding on DAC

but to appease you here is what I get when I google "schiit audio"

K, well then by that definition most companies do not market.

Hell, if everyone stayed in bed and did not do anything at all then marketing doesn't exist at all.

What do you consider marketing to be? Cause they are in sterophile which is kind of like an online magazine. They have been featured countless times on head-fi tv. If that isn't marketing, then you are absolutely right, I have no clue what marketing really is.

Not unless you have high impedance headphones.

The lyr is a better all around amp.

Personally I have heard a lot about Cambridege Audio. I've never heard of Jolida and Parasound. But I can tell you that Cambridge Audio is the only one that has products that interest me. Jolida is all about tubes and I'm not a fan of tubes. It's my taste and opinion, you might like tubes, but I don't like them. With Parasound I might be wrong but everything they make look way too large for me. Maybe I would go with the ZDAC v2 but I would buy a PS Audio Sprout over it.

Have you seen these guys before?

IF Schiit was marketing like you claim I would see Schiit bilboards everywhere and product placement in the hollywood movies, or ads on the television, ads on the side bar of websites that don't only appeal to "audiophiles".

ok

I might not agree with @Tjj226_Angel on somethings. But I see their point. Schiit gets a lot of press coverage which can server as indirect marketing. And you can't market Schitt products like Beats products.

Now dose that make Schiit bad? No. Dose that make them good? No.

Reviews or overviews of product is not the same thing as placing an ad with all of the marketing wank on it. But this is not what this post is about, so we should go back to recommending DACs to the OP.

LOL true. You can't talk about audio without audio people bashing heads. LOL

Cambridge audio has also been around for what seems like forever.

The parasound stuff is a tad smaller than the ps audio sprout. I do like the sprout. I mean the sound quality is a bit meh, but for 500 bucks you get the dac, amp, headphone amp, and phono stage.

As far as bang for buck goes its hard to beat.

The zdac v2 is pretty much a straight dac with a small headphone amp thrown in. But it was kind of tuned for the HD600s, so it does synergize well and it is a really solid dac on its own. My only gripe is that the price has gone wayyyy up. IDK why.

Lastly, what did you listen to that made you not like tubes? To find anything that uses nothing other than tubes and transformers is pretty difficult.

That is exactly how it should be.

If I wanted the heart warming sound of a tube, I would consider tube amps. But as I don´t, that is a bad idea.

@eidolonFIRE and @Tjj226_Angel
In case you two want to discuss brands, do that somewhere else! I wanted help, not a flame war.

1 Like

I replied to the other guy, but you did not read that.

When I say flat, I mean lack of depth. Everything sounds 2 dimensional.

If you want to avoid that, go with the modi 2 MULTIBIT (not uber), and the vali 2 and swap out the tube for something half decent.

I did! Want to know why? Because I came back to my thread to find it derailing over an argument about Schiit doing too much marketing!

I do not want anything tube. My current thinking is just getting the HD-Amp1 for the sake of it.

... ok, I'm done.

[puts down flame thrower.]

1 Like

Isn't the HD-Amp1 a speaker amplifier? I can't find anything about the headphone section of it.

Going by their website, it is designed mainly as a headphone dac/amp but can also drive speakers directly or via another amplifier.

Unless I'm reading the entirely wrong page, all I see is three sentences about headphones (with not actual numbers) and a spec sheet that also has no data about the headphone stuff.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hifi&subcatid=amplifier&productid=hdamp1

I do have to say that if that can do 32bit/384kHz it's pretty crazy.

You are reading the right page. I am pretty sure it is mainly a headphone amp.
I just go ask in my local HiFi shop after work...

To me it's reading as a primarily speaker amplifier that happens to have a headphone out.

Although I'm sitting here with an ODAC and a modified O2 (gotta love disregarding licenses) with not a single qualm, so yeah. Simply for the cost I'd take the Schiit since it's less than 1/3 the price here in the States.

I would assume marantz would write about that higher on the website if so. As far as I can see they are writing about everything else and pretty much at the bottom of that page they go "yeah, headphones are a thing and also it looks cool".
If you wanna buy it for looks, totally fine with me. But this is a speaker amp.