Decent Cheap PCIe 2.0 Raid Cards?

Anyone got the lowdown on decent cheap PCIe 2.0 raid controller cards?

Just looking for cards I should consider that are out of the box linux compatible, support Raid 5 with 4 or more discs and sata 3 for a relatively cheap home built NAS.

Any suggestions appreciated!

used LSI cards , what do you consider as cheap? are you planning to use the onboard raid feature or just use as an HBA

1 Like

cheap would be 20-40 bux. The board / proc combo I’m looking at will be around 50 or so.

I’m just going to use it for general storage and an extra backup solution and the raid is just to make it so I can image machines quickly if I need.

It doesn’t need to be super fancy, just 4 discs or so in raid 5, no HBA needed really.

At that price point I would run software raid (Linux md) with onboard SATA or pick up an extra Marvell or ASMedia card if you are short on ports. You don’t want to be stuck with an array that you can’t move to another machine for recovery later. I wouldn’t do hardware on anything less than a LSI with battery backup.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.