Dead pixel on new laptop

Hey guys.

I just bought a new laptop. Good stuff but one minor issue is that there are (i guess a couple) dead pixels on the bottom corner of the display. I was wondering if there is any way to fix this without returning the laptop. Honestly I’m not even sure if this is eligible for return because it’s actually sort of minor. Thankfully because it is at the very bottom portion it gets blocked by Windows taskbar so basically impossible to notice in day to day use but it’s still there!

Did some research online and people recommend using the flashing method to try and fix it. What do you guys suggest? Will this help or make it worse? (don’t want that!). The pixels are black so not even sure if it’s completely gone. I honestly don’t want to RMA this because mainly I can’t afford to deal with the down time and also the issue seems really minor for a full return/refund.

Cheers.

Try lightly pressing on the affected areas.

3 Likes

Yup like @Dynamic_Gravity I have seen people fix stuckbpixels by lightly tapping it for a few minutes.

I would suggest you try the flashing color method first as its safer than pressing on the screen

If that does not work then do like @Dynamic_Gravity said and press on the screen. Just be careful because you can crack the screen if you put enough pressure on it but youll know when your putting too much pressure on it

1 Like

Might as well try to flashing method first as it’s safest. As far as I’m aware, that can fix stuck pixels, but if they are always black that sounds like dead pixels. If you really can’t afford to have downtime, I guess you could try the other method after, or just live with it.

Depending on how many dead pixels and the laptop you have, it may not be covered under warranty. Most places have some sort of limit policy of a certain number of dead pixels being acceptable. There are some laptops though that say you should have 0 dead pixels and thus warranty any number (Dell laptops of a certain level have a no dead pixel policy, though I know this because I’ve had a long time now of dealing with issues with one of their laptops that’s still not resolved, but at least everything is covered by the warranty I guess…).

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I’ll try using both the methods and see if it fixes.

And yes this looks like dead pixel and the flashing method generally only works for stuck pixels. Nevertheless I’ll give it a try.

Lightly pressing with a Q-tip for dead pixels (Black) or flashing colours on a stuck pixel (Stuck on one colour) can fix the issue but don’t expect it to work.

My 4k display has 2-3 dead pixels in the right center of the screen and there is nothing I can do. Generally manufacturers have a threshold. Usually around about 3 in the center of the display and they will honor a replacement but mostly you’re stuck with it.