DDR2 source

Anyone know a good source for ddr2-800/1000? I need 4 x 4gb sticks non ecc. It’s been a pain to find and before I order from China, I just figured I’d check with smart people. This is non apple, and non AMD specific.

Speaking of that, Will the AMD stuff really not work in Intel platforms?

Memory is memory is memory. There’s no such thing as “AMD stuff” or “Intel stuff” - that’s marketing nonsense.

Ddr2 era this was a thing yes. Basically older intel boards didn’t support “high density” ram. Therefore anything over 2GB sticks is unlikely to work on intel consumer boards.

I suspect your cheapest bet is to find a 2nd hand eBay listing, or buy from China. Quality therefore variable.

there actually is when it comes to ddr2

I have one of the rare boards that supports 16gb. I have 8 now but want to max it out.

A quick scan of the 'bay had nothing listed locally in my market (UK).

Appreciate this may be a special project but maybe it is time to treat yourself to a newer motherboard :smile:

1 Like

Also even some AMD boards will take 4gb dimms but won’t post if you put more than 8gb total.

Actually ddr2 this does matter intel never had the ability to run 4gb ddr2 dimms (had to mod some stuff) I have a lot of ibm stuff that can run 4gb ddr2 dimms amd opt server CPUs and some Athlons … no core 2 no Xeon I have seen can handle ddr2 4g dimms

I bet there is one or 2 systems that can but it was kinda a rule

Sourcing @TheF1sh I would check a lot of places that have salvaged the chips off dead ddr2 dimms and reball. A lot of the time one or 2 of the chips are gone the rest are fine and China just repairs em cause they can buy em in mass for pennies and the work is underpaid

You can find over priced ones at eBay but check dhgate Alibaba/AliExpress

eBay you’ll find other Chinese companies doing the same “new ddr2” but gouged

Should cost like 5$ but it’s in us and ready to go

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.