DDR-3200 for Ryzen

Hello there,

so I was recently able to get my hands on a 1700x for 70€ off and now I'm looking to build a system. From what I've read, Ryzen actually benefits from fast memory and 3200 appears to be the sweet-spot, however apparently Ryzen can also be a little excentric when it comes to memory modules. Combine that with the fact that I would like 32gigs and that you can't run with four sticks at full speed and things start looking complicated.

So here is my question: Can you recommend a DDR-3200 32G (2x16) kit which works well with ryzen and maybe costs less than 300€? (Bonus points if it's available on Amazon.de)

Thanks!

Works but does not go beyond 1600MHz:

Works at up to 2400MHz:

Both tested with ASRock X370 Gaming K4 & Ryzen 7 1700X

1 Like

I haven't seen any 16Gb modules (or 4x8GB kits) yet that are rated at 3200 for Ryzen. Seems to be limited to the 8GB sticks so far to achieve the higher speeds.

You may need to wait for more BIOS updates to improve memory compatibility.

Gskill do have the Flare X series that was built for Ryzen, but even those don't support 3200 @ 32GB currently.

You might want to see the thread where Samsung B-die chips on DRAM is discussed:

1 Like

The main issue i am seeing is the combo motherboard and ram...
For starters, ASUS are spewing bios revision after bios revision, so i rather not get them until they properly fix their issues.
As for ram - by all accounts Corsair is the worst choice possible. People on mass have been complaining of the ram not being able to pass 2933.
Kingston and GSkill seems to be the best in the frequency area. I have not seen anything mentioned about A-Data...
And i just properly noticed what @Ungari is linked. That is a really good link...

1 Like

From what I've seen the issues are not related to the brand, but by which Make/Model have been optimized for the particular mainboard in question. Even various SKUs within the same manufacturer have different brands and models within those brands listed on their QVL page, i.e. Crucial #### may be QVL listed for AsRock Taichi, but not for AsRock K5 Gaming.

1 Like

I just did an RMA on my ram, Sent it back this morning, as It wouldn't go past 2133.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

I also agree with Ungari, however there are reports on forums where people were getting the ram I listed to 3200 with no problems. I guess bad ram is bad ram.

Ok, many thanks for the info.

So then I guess I will have to make due with 16g right now. The 'built for Ryzen' Gskill FlareX are selling at a 100€ markup over here, so I'll try another kit first. Anyone got experience with the Ripjaws V Series - the are listed in the thread linked by @Ungari as B-die?

Here is a link to an outside forum there is a listing of what ram is what...

1 Like

I have that cosair kit at 3200 mhz.

Asrock Taichi paired with a 1700. G Skill I think has a special Ryzen kit meant to be able to hit those higher clock speeds. Where you are really going to hit issues is with wanting 32gb's of RAM. Particularly in the 16x2 configuration. If I were you I would go with 8x4. But I understand why you want 16x2.

That being said your motherboard will heavily determine what RAM you can get. It is a little bit of the wild west like x99 was when it launched. It has gotten a lot better though.

Replied to the wrong person, oh well.

I must have misunderstood.
I could have sworn I saw @wendell say that 2 x 16GB was the way to go for 32GB?

I do not recall such a thing, He could have though. Also depends on the kit a lot. This one in particular has been good at being compatible with Ryzen.

That being said checking with the motherboard manufacturer is always good.

And @Splork I have indeed seen some nice gains when increasing Ryzen RAM speeds. That being said make sure to update your bios, no matter what board you get.

Depends a bit on the particular motherboard you go with aswell.
But G.skill Flare X or G.skill Trident Z is what i would recommend.
If you want the best overclock experiance then i would say trow your €70,- savings towards a decent motherboard.

1 Asrock X370 Taichi.
2 Asus Crosshair VI Hero.