Dd clone damanged veracrypt encrypted disk before attempting partition table recovery

Hello guys,

i accidentally attempted to restore a clonezilla disk image to the wrong disk using this preconfigured grub menu item:

set isofile="/clonezilla/clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso"
loopback loop (hd2,5)$isofile
linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-config noswap nolocales union=overlay edd=on nomodeset ocs_prerun=“mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt” ocs_prerun1=“mount --bind /mnt/clonezilla /home/partimag/” ocs_live_run=“ocs-sr -e1 auto -e2 -r -batch -j2 -nogui -v -scr -p poweroff restoredisk sdc-rolling-backup sdc” ocs_live_extra_param="" keyboard-layouts="" ocs_live_batch=“yes” locales="" vga=788 ip=frommedia nosplash toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img

for whatever reason, sdc was not recognized during POST and sdd temporarily took its place. clonezilla threw an error warning of the disk/image size mismatch and asked for confirmation to continue which is where i declined with a reboot. The disk contained a total of 5 partitions of various sizes, all of them veracrypt encrypted but now shows up as a single disk in the vc gui.

i’m looking for experienced advice on cloning a disk comprised of several veracrypt encrypted partitions before i attempt recovery with testdisk or other tools. i’m too new to linux and veracrypt to confidently tackle this so detailed steps would be appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.