DaVinci Resolve on Linux? Wine, KVM, HW acceleration

I was hoping to get some advice / suggestions.

I currently run a video / 3D / audio workstation on Windows 7. This machine is relatively new, I put it together when it became necessary to do more serious color grading for work. Although everything runs well on Windows performance-wise, I would love to go back to Linux, preferably Debian or Mint. There is just one app that keeps me from switching (classic): DaVinci Resolve 12.
All other programs I use have a native Linux version or a reasonable counterpart.

From my research I have a few options:

• Dual Boot: Seems a bit too complicated for running a single Windows app.

• VMs: Better option, but there seem to be troubles with using the hardware of the host OS in the guest OS? I've read through Wendell's post on using KVM/qemu and passing through Graphics Cards but that does not appear to be optimal either. I believe you can only use the GPU in either the host or the guest. Or did I get something wrong? If that is the case it might even be better to dual boot (in terms of rendering performance) I need my Quadro's hardware acceleration for both Blender, which would run in Linux, and Resolve which would run in a VM.

• Wine: As Resolve is the only Windows software I need so far this seems to be most effective solution. As Wine only works as kind of an interpreter, Resolve should be able to just use the GPU without making it unavailable for eg. Blender. Once again please correct me if I'm talking nonsense.
    When I read through the wine website however it seems that some of the content there was quite old.

Does anyone have suggestions on what might be the best way to use both Resolve and other apps with GPU accelerated rendering in a Linux environment? Or am I better of with Windows for the time being? I don't mind using Windows I'd just prefer to go back to something more UNIX. But if it costs me to much performance or effectiveness at work I'd rather keep Windows. For the time being at least.

Just for completeness sake my general HW specs:
Intel Xeon E5-2620 on a Gigabyte X-99 MB
nVidia Quadro K4000
a couple of SSDs as system and scratch drives as well as an HDD for general storage.

Actually davinci resolve DOES in fact have a linux version. How you get the free version I have no clue. I don't think there is one. I think the way they have it set up is for a user to either buy their odd looking equipment and they get a Cd with all three versions on it or you can buy it from them so it also funds the linux Dev Team (because the market is limited despite consumer demand). That way they can fund the team whenever the hardware gets sold and I almost bet you could buy the linux version. I would email them on that though.

I have had some correspondence with Blackmagic design. There is a Linux version of Resolve Studio. It costs about $20000 (but it comes with a huge hardware controller for free.)

The free version as well as the "normal" studio version you can buy (or get when you buy a Blackmagic camera) is only available for Windows and OSX. I know bigger studios use a Linux version, since most of the color grading server farms run Linux.

As for now I don't need any of the additional features the Studio version has to offer, and I have no real need for the controller.

1 Like

:P It would be nice if they would offer the linux version tbh but it is expensive to dev for :c especially for BM. I wouldn't be surprised if that 20000 is what they would need to make improvements on the linux version.

Word. But I think they are mainly targeting OSX users atm. They rewrote eyeon's Fusion for Mac.

In the meantime it would be good to know if one of the options I mentioned above actually makes sense to use the Windows version on Linux.
I'm about to try it myself, but I wanted to see if I made any mistakes / misunderstood anything about the software before I waste my extended weekend.