Datavac or air compressor

I’m looking for something to clean my PCs and other random stuff with compressed air.

The Datavac is designed for this but I have heard that it’s very loud and gets very hot. On the other hand it’s extremely portable.

The other option is an air compressor and dusting attachment. Don’t know a huge amount about air compressors but they seem less portable, yet a lot quieter.

Other stuff like leaf blowers doesn’t seem like a good idea… Anyone got a Datavac or use an air compressor and like to comment?

Depends… Air compressors have static storage, but when the pump is on, it’s incredibly loud.

If you do use an air compressor, I’d recommend finding one that has a moisture trap, since the air leaving the compressor is cold, therefore in humid regions you can hit dew point and mist/water droplets can form.

I use an air compressor and it’s just fine. That said, I’ve got a 50gal wall-unit for my garage (I wrench on cars and whatnot), so it’s kind of a no-brainer.

If you need something portable, a datavac is probably the best option. If you can bring the components in need of cleaning to the device, I’d get the air compressor (you can use it for all kinds of things, so it might be a better investment in the long run, since they’re usually similarly priced.

2 Likes

I have air compressors, but never used them on my computers. Then again my computers don’t get dust bunnies the size of actual bunnies. I’m not particularly careful or obsessed with dust, just happen to get a lot less than some other computers I work on.

Many many years ago my sister moved out and left her room a giant mess. As I cleaned it up there were some makeup brushes with different bristle lengths. I threw them in my PC toolbox and still use them for cleaning up heatsinks and things. It doesn’t kick up the enormous dust cloud of pet dander, dead bugs, asbestos, or whatever else might be lurking in there that you don’t want to be breathing.

I usually just drag it out to the front of the garage with the door open and go over everything. It’s slightly more manual labor, but it isn’t necessary to use air and isn’t worth buying a compressor exclusively for that. You can get most of the dust in a trash can with a little brush and some patience.

Datavac or air compressor? Neither one is really needed.

Good point about the moisture trap.

I’ve noticed that Hard Off (second hand shop in Japan that sells computers, consoles, hifi, musical instruments, appliances etc.) uses an air compressor and a lot of stuff looks almost new after a good blast with one.

I could even do my car interior with it… it really seems to shift the dust more than just vacuuming or using a cloth.

If you’re looking for auto-detailing recommendations, we can make another thread. I’m something of a professional at that as well LOL

It just seems like a lot less effort to blow all the dust out of the nooks and crannies and then vacuum it up, rather than trying to brush it out…

Oh, the nooks and crannies? Yeah. The rest of the car? Use a cloth.

The air compressor is much more multiuse I would go for it as it can be repurposed to more then just this task. Then again if this is the ONLY task you are going to put it to then roll the datavac

2 Likes

I recently picked up a Data-Vac, the Metropolitan ED500 DataVac. I really enjoy it.
Is it loud? Yes, the cats run to the other part of the house. But they do that when the wife runs the vacuum too.
Does it get warm? Yes, it does get a little warm but I don’t have to wear oven mitts or anything of the sort.
It beats taking the machines out to the garage and using the leaf blower on them. Sad I know, but that’s how I used to roll…

2 Likes

Thanks @Delta9K, that’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Someone who actually owns one.

Also have a DataVac and have had one for years. I bought one for my father as well because they are awesome. Don’t trust an air-compressor on electronic parts so you get another vote from me for buying one of those.

1 Like

I’ve used a DataVac at work a few times to blow desktops out. It definitely does the job very well. It moves a ton of air. It does get warm, but it isn’t turned on very long. I was considering getting the ESD-safe DataVac for my own use.

As others have said, an air compressor would do the job in a pinch, but condensation and moisture are an issue. Even if you let it dry out, you’re spraying moisture onto electronics, corrosion is bound to happen.

1 Like

By that logic, all PCs in warm and humid countries should just rust away over a year.
Watertraps are relatively cheap and should resolve the moisture concern.

Moving air through plastic pipes (or other non-conductive materials) will build up an electric charge. So unless the Datavac has the nozel grounded in some way, it is an ESD hazard.

There is an ESD safe version of the Datavac for a few more bucks. Presumably it is properly grounded.

I’m sure a decent air compressor is fine too. As I say, Hard Off uses them for computer and other electrical equipment.

I just have an air compressor it works fite.