Damaged CPU

Hello,

I had an unfortunate accident where my two EPYC processors slipped around the tray they were being transported in because the tray wasn’t properly held together. One CPU has noticeable damage where two capacitors (I assume that is the mini towers in the middle of the CPU are) are knocked off. The other CPU might have a damage gold pad but it’s hard to tell and there might be other damaged that I haven’t spotted.

I tried testing the potentially undamaged CPU by installing it in socket0 of my MZ72-HB0 motherboard. I have all 8 dimms populated for socket0. I also remoted into management GUI for the motherboard and updated the BIOS to the most recent version to ensure it can support Milan CPUs. I connected a monitor to the VGA port and a keyboard to the monitor. I powered the system through the management GUI and the CPU fan turns on, but most of the time nothing displays on the monitor. Two or three times between restarting the system, I have gotten the motherboard logo to appear on the monitor and option to to the BIOS menu, but when I press the key to go to the BIOS menu, three dots appear in the lower left corner before the monitor goes blank and loses signal. The system appears to reset itself and goes back to the motherboard logo screen with the option to go to the BIOS menu. I also tried inserting an USB stick with Ubuntu into the motherboard and I once got to the Ubuntu desktop. Afterwards, I restarted the system but nothing would display on the monitor upon restart. I tried repeating this success but with no such luck. Majority of the time when the system is running, nothing is displayed on the monitor.

For the management GUI that I’m accessing from a different computer, the motherboard shows the EPYC processor detected and all of the RAMS shows up. The motherboards shows the correct info about the CPU however I don’t know if this is normal that an EYPC 7413 is not capable of VMC or Turbo mode, both capabilities have x’s by them and none of the capabilities are enabled. I don’t see any errors in the management board but I might be looking in the wrong place. Sensors on the CPU are active when the system is running and display reasonable temperatures.

Are the problems that I’m experiencing symptoms of the CPU being damaged? Is there anything I should check in the management GUI? Is my other CPU that has missing capacitors ruined?

Thank you for any help!

Im pressing F for this.

I wouldnt risk a visibly damaged CPU into a motherboard, just in case it might nuke the board it is attached to.

1 Like

jessicarabbitshook

I’m inclined to think they are because when a motherboard doesen’t support the CPU installed in its socket you’re not gonna get anything on screen. No device on the motherboard will initialize and the POST will stall out at a “not initialized” state instead of showing some signs of life.

A missig capacitor is less damage than a missing pad on the CPU, in my opinion. Also there might be a way to get them soldered back on. But, if a pad is gone, I don’t think there’s any chance to fix it because it would require a new PCB to be made.

If there’s a page where it shows system diagnostics of any kind that’s what you should check.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.