D-link router acting up

So first off i’m not really good with technology i can manage but i have a little understanding esp. when it comes to networking, so excuse me if it sounds stupid. And trust me it is, bare with me…
The problem is that since Saturday i can’t connect to the internet, it says:

• dns server isn’t responding , " tracert 8.8.8.8 " doesn’t give any response. ofc.
    however there are still some bytes sent and received according to windows ethernet status
  • i have a D-LINK GO-RT-N150 router hardware v. A1 firmware v. 1.00
  • accessing the router and enabling access point let’s me connect to the internet ( on all the devices hardwired and wi-fi) however accessing d-links router ( 192.168.0.1 this is my default gateway both on NAT and AP. ) gets me to tp-link’s firmware. ( 300M Wireless N TL-WR841N)
  • it has a different wi-fi SSID then the one d-links gives as default, however when i connect to the router via wi-fi i still connect through the d-link SSID and tp-links password. ( password change is taken into account but not the name )
  • if i don’t leave 1 device connected to the router it won’t let me reconnect to the internet unless i reset the router and start the process all over again. ( after reset it shows up as d-link again )
  • with access point connection the cmd command “tracert 8.8.8.8” jumps from my ip address directly to my internet providers ip, so that rules out double nat. (i think)
  • also i can’t find wirelessly the tp-link, so i doubth that i’m connecting to a different router (if it’s hidden how would my router find it and work with it .)
  • the password protection from the d-link firmware doesn’t carry to the tp -link one ( the default being d-link name: admin pass: nothing tp-link name: admin pass: admin)
    I’m confused can somebody explain please ? i can’t find anything that resembles this, ( d -link showing up as tp-link) losing internet connection if i have the electronics shut down but not if i leave 1 on…
    Could it be that the router is at its end? Did d-link and tp-link share the same electronic boards / chips in the manufacturing process, why 2 firmwares?
    Or am i just ku-ku and missing something simple :confused:
    Btw on 1 pc i have windows 10 the laptop and the other pc have windows 7 , no phones.

I’m having some difficulty following your description but do you have two routers? Is it possible that two routers are running DHCP servers on your network? Might there be an IP address conflict between them?

The first point you mention about some bytes going in and out might not be internet traffic but just some chatter windows does on the local network so wouldn’t see that as a sign of anything.

Hi,
No, i only have one router, i have no idea from where the tp-link router came from, nor can i find it through wi-fi. hence my confusion.

Should have mentioned that a router reset would connect me to the internet automatically via NAT . I’ve never had to use AP, nor to do some settings just the normal security setup.

Yes , it might be chatter, that’s what i thought too, still i thought i’d mentioned it.
I’ll contact my internet provider and see what’s up

Can you double check if your gateway is 192.168.0.1 with windows cmd by typing route PRINT?

It will be the gateway for the destination 0.0.0.0 which should be the first entry.

Yes,

It takes me to the tp link router …
Also i looked into the dhcp client list and i see some routers and phones that i’m guessing i shouldn’t, not sure .

Give the 30-30-30 reset a go

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds

Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds

Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode…see note below!)

Thanks, i’ll give it a go. will update after wards.

Same thing,…
so:

and then i have internet

Gonna need a more topographical map of your network, but you need to plug in upstream from the dlink router and investigate there. It sure looks like you’re running 2 routers.

When you put your dlink into AP mode its getting a different IP so you cant browse to 192.168.0.1 and expect your router to be there anymore. The TP link appears to be upstream of the dlink but running on the same IP which is why you’re hitting that TPlink config page.

Theres a clue in the messages you get when you change modes

Its going to request a DHCP IP, if it gets an answer then thats its new home. You’ll need to check the TP link firmware for what address the dlink has.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense thanks for the clarification, Thought about it but was dismissive , i mean practically i have control over 7 routers, with out doing any "hacking " . The password was the default one so… Idk, i’ll have a talk about it with my isp. Is this normal ? To router upstream unprotected ? I shouldn’t be able to access this one right ?
To me it seems that i’m in a router that my neighbors router connects to.
Is there anything i could do to have connection to the internet with the d-link? just the normal connection with out being shady…

It depends on the ISP and their setup. In areas where LoS wifi is used It doesnt seem out of the ordinary. It probably shouldnt be set up with default creds though, that’s just sloppy work. I would get ahold of your ISP.

As far as getting the internet working correctly, I cant really say without knowing more about what the configuration looks like. Without being there and seeing for myself the ISP is the only one who can likely help you in this situation.

You could try manually configuring the DNS on YOUR router to see what you can manage. I like to use the Quad9 DNS: 9.9.9.9 You can of course use any of them. Google has 8.8.8.8 as you already know, and theres 4.2.2.2 you can use as a backup. The default gateway assigned to your router in this instance should be your DNS.

1 Like

Alright thanks for the help, and solving my conundrum i really appreciate it, I’ve learned stuff today. And i’ll use the dns on MY router :smiley: no seiuosly thanks

1 Like