Custom firmware on the TP-Link Archer C9 V4 - worth the hassle?

For no reason at all, on the latest firmwares from that router, TP-Link decided it would remove the option to set a bandwidth limit to a guest network, which is a feature i used a lot on my previous routers (since my friends are very taxing on my network speed) and was available on earlier versions of the C9, but not in the V4 nor the more recent V5.
I searched around the web and i found an alternative firmware, DD-WRT, that does support all versions of my router up to the V4 which is the one i have, installation is pretty simple, but i must say, i never ran a custom firmware on a router before, is it worth the hassle?

just check that your model is fully compatible, but it’s hardly a hassle, you just flash the new rom and you’re off to the races. I’ve done it on a bunch of cisco consumer gear over the years and it works great.

I’ll check carefully if it is.
What about DD-WRT itself, is it good?

most commercial firmwares are based on like one of 3 mod projects, this is one of them. It’s pretty much exactly like the cisco firmware with all the features unlocked.

1 Like

Perfect! I think i’ll give it a shot then, it seems to be the only one compatible with the C9 V4, the ones only support V1 and V2