Current VPN recommendations?

I used CyberGhost VPN for a while cause I got a yearly sub from Humble Bundle. It was fine but slow. Anything worth recommending in the 5 euro/USD per month range? What should I look out for, don’t really know much about the subject.

I’ve really been enjoying using ProtonVPN, it works well, has great speeds and great privacy. I use the free version on my iPhone and MacBook Pro. Their Plus package is only $8, but if you need to hit your $5/month, the basic is $4. Hope this helps!

https://account.protonvpn.com/signup

(Not a referral link)

1 Like

NordVPN is also pretty good. You (can) get it for 3$/months. Although the 3$/months is actually a 3 years deal as in you pay 107$ upfront and then have it for 3 years.

Not really sure how they can give a 75% discount if you buy it for 3 years. I´m guessing most people stop using it after some time.

Most of their servers easiely max out my internet (witch is only 10-12mb/s though). So your milage may very. Every now and then some servers are slow, then you switch servers and it´s fine again.

Another option if you´re feeling adventerous would be buy a 5$/months digitalocean droplet and make your own. :slight_smile:

I roll my own wireguard VPN with Algo as I have a gigabit connection at home, but if you need protection for :pirate_flag: purposes you will want a commercial service.

I do recommend against PIA as they hired Mark Karpeles.

Explain more please.

PIA - Private Internet Access is also much recommended from many people. They seem to be even proven in court(?) that they don’t log anything.

Hm hoped for a more unanimous opinion :smiley: I’ve heard most ppl mention PIA and also heard few people say they’re against it cause of the Mark person I guess? Not sure what’s the deal with that tho.

Yearly or longer sub is out of the question for now just looking for a monthly service in the 5$ range.

There’s so many options right now… and yeah it’s partly for :pirate_flag: purposes but also for getting through any sort of regional locks and other such bullshit.

Keep in mind the $5 droplet has a cap of 1 TiB/month.

I would probably go with Mullvad, they take anonymity seriously, not even requiring an email address, and cost €5/month (currently $5.67). Most importantly to me, they support Wireguard. OpenVPN is slow and particularly bad on mobile as it takes a couple seconds to reconnect.

Important point is not to signup for a lifetime VPN. You want one where you pay every month.

1 Like

+1 for Mullvad
There are a lot of VPN services out there that give me the creeps, also a bunch that seem just incompetent or have a bunch of fine print saying they might keep some logs, etc.
Mullvad is trustworthy AFAIK, and not even expensive.

Might try Mullvad then. They even recommend paying with cash :smiley: