Current state of Skype on Linux?

Literally the last thing keeping me on Windows

I HAVE to use Skype and it must work with Skype on the Windows platform (as in my linux box connecting to a Windows pc).

I know that there are alternatives but its how I talk to my kids and they arent able to use something else.

Microsoft recently announced the end of 'support' [lol] (and their intentional bricking) of Skype for Linux so that ONLY skypre for Linux Alpha/Beta will work. Can this work with a Windows client?

Any help/advice appreciated.

1 Like

Works fine? Its what you would expect from skype. Has some cli controls which is interesting.

Got upgraded for skype 4.4 recently which is nice. Dupports video, multilayer sound, rather modern for an app that died in 2012.

1 Like

I'm sure that's just not true.

But anyway, Skype 5 for Linux is available as well as of this month.

3 Likes

I have been using skype on Fedora for several years. I'm currently at fedora 25. I install it from lpf-skype, and I use it at work. Every thing works, I can invite to meetings, share my screen and all the rest.

1 Like

No - its true. They are too young to do it themsleves ( 6 and 8 ) and their mother does everything she can to piss me off (divorced) so theres that..

Skype 5.0.0.5 works great under linux, been using it for a while, I have had no issues with it so far, interface is pretty much the same as the windows version.

And also there is the web version ...

I've been using Skype Alpha on Fedora 25, and RHEL for a while now. It works fine for me (message and video calls.) I've rarely ran into any bugs as of yet; it dose not have that Windows 8/10 design yet

Microsoft is working on rolling out a new version indeed.
I think its currentlly in Alpha state.

I have been using ghetto Skype and love it. Unfortunately video calls are not yet supported.

Skype on Linux supports video calls... Unless ghetto Skype is something else?
Though if your able I'd recommend something else.

Ghetto skype is a open source reverse engineered app based on the web client for skype that up until 5 left alpha actually worked better than the official counterpart. Actually skype 5 also looked stupidly the same to ghetto skype when the alpha came out. I would not be surprised if MS ¨borrowed¨ code from it to make 5 without telling anyone. Ghetto has an issue with video calls.

As for the OP. Get skype 5. It is in beta still but it will do its job decently and recently added video call support and works with windows clients.

1 Like

There is also this contraption called Franz, which is basically the Trillian for Whatsapp/Telegram ... and even Skype.

It's still just the web version and video/voice are not supported as far as I've tested.

Pretty garbage. Had an important video conference over Skype a few months ago and I didn't test the Skype for Linux client out because I assumed it worked well. Boy was I wrong. Half the conference, the dude on the other end's video was flickering and tinted blue, the connection kept dropping out, and half the time the dude on the other end couldn't even see me. Needless to say, that's the last time I used Skype for Linux.

You got to post the full story in the tech fail thread.

I wanna read it. :D

That's the whole story pretty much. The dude was an IT veteran so he was cool since he had all sorts of weird computer issues in the past. Was just pretty annoying having to reconnect every 5 minutes. Didn't have a Windows machine on hand to try to make the call from.

1 Like

native skype app (v4.3.0.37) not been updated for ages but still working, not available for download now. may come a time soon when it just won't connect to skype when they retire it
the new skype for linux beta is only one can download from site now
but better to use whatever is in repository, if available
either version should do voice and video calls to windows machine no problem

I have been using the Skype for Linux Alpha on Lubuntu, and it works perfectly fine. I never had a problem talking to Skype users on Windows, Mac, iOS or Android.

Personally I prefer Discord for chat. But the Skype Alpha is alright... for a Microsoft product.