Current Build State

I'm thinking my next step is definitely a ssd, but I'm debating on using the ssd to supplement my hdd and keeping win7 or replace it with a ssd and win8.1 and use the hdd for mass storage. If I installed 8.1 on a ssd and booted from it, then would I have to reinstall all of my programs and games that were on the hdd or would they work fine? Also would I need to delete all windows programs on my hdd?

Anyways here's the current state of my build.

Mobo: MSI 970A-G46

CPU: FX8320 boost clocked to 4.0GHz

CPU cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 w/ Cougar 140mm HDB fan

Memory: 8Gb Samsung ddr3 1333

HDD:1TB 7200rpm hdd I pulled out of an old HP of mine mainly for the OS (still thinks its an HP)

GPU: Sapphire R9 290

PSU: Corsair 650TX

Case: Rosewill Challenger (painted the entire front grill and disk drive blue and added 2 cougar 120mm hdb side intake fans)

Peripherals: 3x Vizio E241-a1 tv's for monitors, Corsair K60 and M60, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers

I used to be a big console gamer and slowly converted to pc gamer over the past 2 years. I'm proud to admit that as of six months ago I have been console free. Its so liberating and my wife is happy that she can actually use our tv. That being said I sometimes feel like a total noob.

I knew literally nothing about computers when I started and picked up everything from watching youtube videos and talking with computer enthusiasts. I started with an old hp rockin an athlon x2 and 3gb ddr2. I upgraded the athlon 64x2 4200 to a athlon 64x2 5600+ (best cpu the mobo would support), installed 64bit win7, installed 8gb ddr2 800 (also most it would support), and installed a 2GB GTX 650. It quickly became apparent that I need to build a new computer because it just didn't cut it. I also blew 9 capacitors on that mobo and had my first experience every touching a mobo by soldering in new capacitors. I was so proud of myself when it worked perfect after that repair especially since the local computer repair shop I took it to said "you can't do that. you have to buy a new mobo".

I bought another HP after that which was a huge step up, but I again learned the limitations of using a prebuilt computer (who the heck thought of "proprietary cpu fans"?!) and decided to build my current computer. Its gone through several iterations of upgrades and I'm pretty proud of its current state except for the hdd.

While I sometimes feel like a caveman beating stones together compared to others, I learn fast and appreciate any advice or knowledge that comes my way.

PS I totally chose these parts before Logan recommended them. Did I sound like a hipster there... yeah I did... screw it I'm keeping it.

I'm just going to tell you that that motherboard does not support any AMD 8 core CPUs.  Might wanna look into upgrading that someday.

//edits.  My bad, was thinking about the G43 :/

I personally use my SSD for boot and my HDD for mass storage.  I like to do fresh installs as well.

I also learned through the mysteries of YouTube and Google!  I started with a used custom built desktop with an e8600(crappily build, mind you).  Upgraded it after a couple months, and sold it for some cash that has turned into my rig today.

Yes it does. This isn't a hypothetical list. This is my current build. MSI 970A-G46 runs any am3+ 8 core cpu including 125w cpu's.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#/?div=CPUSupport

Not only am I using a 8 core cpu, but I'm using all 8 cores right now as I type. I monitor cpu usage and temps.

Would I need to wipe my hdd or could I use the software already one it?

No, you do not need to wipe your hdd.  You can use the software that's already on it.  You may need to reorganize some things though.

Also, although that motherboard may support FX 83xx CPUs, it's not recommended to OC with them.  The VRMs are terrible.  I actually emailed MSI a few months ago about this.  Here's what they had to say...

I just let it use the stock oc of 4.0GHz and I've had no known issues. With my cooling setup all cores maintain a temp of around 30°C-33°C under load. This is even when running unigine heaven and valley benchmarks at ultra. I've oc'd it a little higher before and seemed stable, but I was scared of my own lack of oc'ing experience and let it do its own thing.

So my games and stuff would still play? That's awesome because having to reinstall everything would of sucked!

I just let it use the stock oc of 4.0GHz and I've had no known issues. With my cooling setup all cores maintain a temp of around 30°C-33°C under load. This is even when running unigine heaven and valley benchmarks at ultra. I've oc'd it a little higher before and seemed stable, but I was scared of my own lack of oc'ing experience and let it do its own thing.

It's fine.  It's just not recommended.  You can potentially shorten the lifespan of your motherboard and CPU.  Just a word of caution. :)

I had a hard time finding a decent AM3+ mobo that supported 125w cpu's when I was looking for one. I'm not partial or anything, just stating that I've had no problems with mine. I had a stable 4.3GHz oc for awhile, but opted for the factory oc because... well honestly I saw almost no difference in game performance between the two.

If I ever had a problem with my mobo, then what mobo would you suggest? Seems like AM3+ support is dwindling, so if I was going to get another board as a contingency plan would I be better off buying it soon while they're still around? Seems like AMD is moving completely towards FM2, which kinda annoys me.

Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0

otherwise

Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0

Both are great motherboards.  6+2 power phase, and Digi+ VRMs.  Great cooling as well.  The Pro has more PCIe lanes, I think.

Everyone I know has said that the majority of MSI's AM3+ boards are crap.  I'm surprised that your board has held an overclock.