CS Course with Scratch?

So my CS degree is teaching scratch, and I don't see why, I would expect them to be teaching python or java or something simple.
Any ideas why they would be using this in a degree.
I never got the idea behind D&D programming.
Anyone care to shed some light on it?

Thanks!

It is simply a teaching tool. Odd a college would choose to use it. Are you attending an accredited university? The choice of language only becomes a factor once you start a project.

Lots of students studying CS have very little programming experience - if any - during the first year of the course. I remember maybe five percent of my first year knew some basic programming, but everyone else was kinda lost and playing cacth up, as we started with micro controllers and assembly before jumping fully into C.
Scratch will help those people understand basic programming concepts and visualise functional programming.

Give this a read.

So it would seem they are trying to teach people the logical process of programming before syntax, but giving them a language that acts like Java but hides all the jibberish to newbies, void, loop etc.
So in terms of printf or print it is the start button

print"Hello World!" (When button is pressed = run comment "Hello World!") or along them lines.

In my intro to programming course we used
http://raptor.martincarlisle.com/
I then took a Java course and we used Jgrasp as an IDE
http://www.jgrasp.org/
For a realy silly reason though I took those classes during HS and summer break this year before I go to UNI for CS. Good reasons but very silly at the same time.

Scratch in a college course? Sounds a bit.. easy to me. Hell in a High school AP Comp Sci class we did Java with a splash of python. And now my college has Java as the first course.

This is what I thought, I mean I learned VB.net in college, but I go to uni and I have to use a language that is easier and people should have studied in high school.

Not sure what you're worried about?

By the time you've finished Uni, you'll have advanced Java, C, and C++ skills.
Not to mention, an advanced knowledge of AI, automation, the mobile space and cloud, data management, software design, deployment and testing etc.

This is the absolute minimum you'll need to complete your degree, so don't sweat it.

Scratch just helps people to improve algorithm development skills.

edit; spelling