CRT Monitor Repair?

I picked up a CRT monitor for free about a year ago, and I love it. I can play games in 240p with scanlines (or even true interlaced 480i) with retroarch, low-resolution stuff somehow looks better on it, and it can crank out 800x600 at 120 Hz like a champ. However, it’s showing its age. The red channel usually has an “echo”—the image is repeated, a little fainter, off to the right (this is probably capacitor aging), the green channel’s black level is too high, and the guns aren’t quite perfectly aligned.

I’m tempted to crack it open and tinker with it, but I know that the flyback transformer can kill me. I would assume that my apartment’s outlet has a good earth ground, but I would not bet my life on it. So, is there anybody out there who still repairs CRTs? Even if there is, I’m sure that it’s expensive (supply and demand, man) and I don’t know about shipping the thing (beast weighs like 50 pounds). Even so, any anecdotal knowledge or experiences might help me find something to do with it. Has anyone here done anything with a CRT in the last decade besides throwing one out?

Do not fuck arround with CRTs
There are high voltage components inside and cracking the lead glass front will result in you blasting yourself with x-rays when powering it on again.

1 Like

Is that just when its on or is there residual energy from it?

The capacitors to smooth the acceleration stage keep charge long beyond unplugging the power.

Toss it. The repair would cost more than buying a new one.

Plus these things could kill you in so many different ways, it isn’t even funny.

Plus, you can pick up something like the ASUS VG248QE on ebay for about 150 bucks. It will give you CRT-like performance at 1080p after enabling light boost.

That must be a crazy amount of power that the capacitors hold enough energy to shoot out xrays even without a power source.

Apparently it can explode as well and

“Also, don’t think a CRT which has been powered off for a long period of time will be safe - the CRT will slowly continue to build static electricity just due to the Earth’s rotation and magnetic fields.”

I wonder how it collects this energy?

1 Like

I will mail you a 150hz 1280X1024 CRT.

You can probably get 5 for free at a scrap yard.

Jesus that video made my skin crawl. No blast shield, and with kids nearby? Please nobody do that ever.

Yeah my best bet might be looking at recycling centers etc, keep trying new ones until I find one that works. I’m hanging onto mine until then though, it’s not so bad that I can’t use it.

@chiefshane I’ve seen that article and I’m a little skeptical that the earth’s physical rotation or constant magnetic field could charge a capacitor to any appreciable voltage. The other capacitors can recharge the big dangerous one once you discharge it once, which is why some of the iffy DIY videos tell you to discharge it more than once. I think this might be mis-attributed to magnetic fields or something.

I also don’t have much space, or a good way to fixture a tube outside of the case. May the tube inside never see the light of day I guess.

There’s a TV & Hi Fi shop in my town that has a separate workshop with engineers that used to do the servicing and repairs on CRTs so maybe find some where close that used to sell CRT TVs etc.