[CRISIS OF SANITY] How do I NUKE the about:logins page? (Lockwise) [FF ESR 78]

Original thread title: Arkenfox’s user.js DISABLES the Enterprise Policies service?!?

2nd thread title: How do I port Waterfox Classic to Firefox ESR 78 without crashing?

Current thread title related to post 7:

Prior to using Arkenfox’s user.js directly, I ported over most of the settings I needed by using about:config. This was working with a policies.json I was using and there wasn’t anything wrong with it.

As soon as I added the real Arkenfox user.js, policies.json stopped working. about:policies just keeps showing a syntax error in the JSON file.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG?!? I made sure the syntax is correct in the JSON file in Kate and the Arkenfox user.js is parsing correctly all the way to the end. Is there a hidden killswitch? Is Mozilla secretly looking at people doing this and adding a bug as a “feature?” I have lost all my patience and cannot stand another roadblock to upgrading to a modern browser.

I couldn’t even port my Waterfox Classic profile to ESR 78 without instant crashes so I am about to lose it.

This is no time for these issues whilst I’m on the edge of sanity without landline internet and nobody else seems to be of help, suspecting Mozilla for putting in hidden killswitches.

Learning Waterfox Classic being dead is traumatic enough, now you won’t let me port my profile, NOR allow policies.json and the Arkenfox user.js to parse simultaneously. I can’t even begin to think about how to parse a user-overrides.js from 12Bytes’ site.

I DOUBLE CHECKED AND TRIPLE CHECKED THE SYNTAX. IT’S CORRECT.

SO THEN WHY THE HELL IS IT NOT WORKING!?!

Edit: I added an extra comma at the end…

so where it was supposed to be

"DisableTelemetry": true
}

it was

"DisableTelemetry": true,
}

This took me literal hours to figure out because I don’t main in programming.

I still have trouble migrating my Waterfox Classic profile so the crisis is not over yet.

Edit 2: See post 7, got a huge bone to pick with about:logins

I’ve been burned by syntax errors before too.

I heavily recommend using any of the online parsers to check your work.

1 Like

I used Firefox’s internal JSON parser by opening a JSON as a file… The error didn’t make sense at first until I realized it was expecting another property with the comma at the end.

So, any good guides on migrating data from Old Firefox profiles to newer versions? Got a lot of saved logins, bookmarks and offline data (like the Telegram webapp) to port over.

FIREFOX LOCKWISE IS A STEAMING PILE OF TURD.

This is exactly why we need a LibreWolf ESR that RESTORES the old password manager, not some poorly coded HTML5 webapp. Nothing is properly ported and Mozilla just says you’re SOL.

This is now preventing my migration because who knows if the webapp is secretly backing up my hashes and salts without permission?

THIS is the part of Waterfox 3.x.x that needs to make it over to LibreWolf like RIGHT NOW.

Bless xiaoxiaoflood. This person gets it. Now we just need a source modification so it uses userChromeJS URLs instead of it’s internal chrome URLs.

This would be a very welcome addition to LibreWolf.

Last thing to tackle… changing the back, forward, refresh, etc. icons in the context menu back to text.

Hurray! Found a userstyle that helps with the context menu. Had to change the margin to 21px and then all is rosy.

I might make a step by step guide to abandoning Waterfox for Firefox ESR 78 if things go smoothly.

1 Like

Okay, got a very bad bone to pick with about:logins. I’ve already to the best of my ability removed access to Lockwise with userChrome.css and userContent.css, but for some goddamn reason that one page when accessed directly doesn’t let any CSS modifiers in. I want to nuke that page, and failing to modify source, I have to do it with userContent.css.

I cannot disable the feature entirely as I have xiaoxiaoflood’s userChromeJS to thank for that by allowing me to keep the old UI within the userChromeJS directories, but I just want Lockwise NUKED.

Other about: pages have polices.json rules, but NOT about:logins.

I’m not ready yet to obliterate it from source because that would then be a rabbit hole trying to find out how to re-integrate lost pages from userChromeJS right into the browser, and I don’t have the patience for that.

Also, if you’ve stopped by, the key to a successful profile migration is to take your old Waterfox Classic profile and import it into Firefox 69.0.3, then upgrade that profile to ESR 78.

Why must that be done? BECAUSE MOZILLA REMOVED LEGACY PROFILE MIGRATION IN CURRENT FIREFOXES. IT’S NOT JUST THAT IT’S A DISABLED FEATURE, IT’S COMPLETELY MISSING FROM THE CODE. (to the shegrin of all who just want a easy way to migrate profiles, and the clueless Mac users who are SOL)

The key part is the only way to port a key3.db to a key4.db properly is in Firefox 69.0.3. NO NEWER. THIS IS CRITICAL INFORMATION PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW.

Also don’t forget you need a policies.json in your 69.0.3 installation or it will auto upgrade to 91 or whatever TF.

Edit: Not looking good, it looks like not even uBO can affect the about:logins page. It may be source obliteration from orbit time, but I don’t have the skill or the manpower to do that.

Next step if I can’t destroy the page is to ONLY disable the about: pages in the URL bar autocomplete. I have no clue how to do that. Might be another impossibility without source obliteration. If you use something similar to uBlock Origin’s has-text:, it would be too broad, and the results are on the fly generated.

I guarantee you, if I go source digging, I will go mentally insane.

Oh great. LibreWolf finally said NO to a ESR version. Meaning the tweaks so far to Firefox ESR 78 will have to do. There is no way I can modify source and maintain the amount of trust a privacy-centric browser needs. Waterfox users expecting LibreWolf to be a savior of them, sorry, it just wasn’t meant to be unless you’re willing to research overrides for EVERY RELEASE.

All browsers suck now.