Creating a USB-PD output panel for my desktop

Oh sorry I watched the video some time back.
Still it gives an indication that this PD stuff is non-trivial.

@SgtAwesomesauce crack your unit open and let’s have a look at the PCB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, for sure. It’s definitely easier than I thought it’d be.

Sure, why TF not? I’m about to head off for lunch, but I’ll crack it open in a couple hours and do some documentation.

1 Like

Oooooooooh I hadn’t thought of this – for some reason I thought they were only compatible with particular motherboards. They’re…slightly expensive indeed, but h m m m m mm

That, I could do.

Do you know how I might be able to determine this?

This sounds super interesting!

You mean, cut some wood down to fit? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! Shame that I’m not in the States though (:

More power is probably more better! This is something I can probably actually buy…

Thanks for the clarification on this!

I might be interested in buying something like that from you if you make it!

Spicing up the thread! (:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can find these on Aliexpress or ebay as well. And worst case, if you’re really eager to get your hands on one, I’d be happy to act as an intermediary for you.

I’ll have to see about it. I’m not really sure how one would implement power budget management to spread 200W across 3 PD ports capable of 100W each.

To ask a related question:

Does anybody know why there don’t seem to be any USB-C-to-Barrel plug cables with a little button to switch between 5, 9, 12 and 20 V?

Latest USB-C PD GaN power sluppies are quite good and this way you could get a simple lab power supply with up to 100 W.

1 Like

Because the usb to barrel adapters are for consumers, not tinkerers.

1 Like

As it is not the intended use case for these cards, at some point there ist just testing it. But that is difficult at the best if times. Ideally with a PD Sniffer (that I do not own myself), because if it fails, you still do not know which end of the cable the problem is at, or if it is the cable itself.

But my educated guess is based on the fact that to my knowledge the Thunderbolt Controllers themselves do not have PD-Support. That should be done with extra ICs. So they should be less likely to be dependent on the configuration and recognition of the thunderbolt controller.

But I also found a Delock PCIe card (89606) with ~90W of PD, that is sadly just as expensive as the thunderbolt cards…

1 Like

Ever get around to this?

2 Likes

Awww, crap. Never did, and I’m about to get super busy.

2 Likes

Can’t blame you.

And I guess I owe you guys an update: I ended up buying a PineTime and with it a PinePower, and I’m using that. My accommodation is thankfully much less…claustrophobic than I had anticipated.

Still, thank you very much for the effort.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.