Crash to desktop from games

This seems to happen randomly, I’ve only been playing fallout 4 and MGS : Phantom pain, sometimes it’ll run well for a whole session of maybe 2-3 hours, other times it’ll crash out every 20 minutes. Both of which I’m running at just under ultra with a few settings turned down or off. Running around mid 50 for the fps (MGS sits on 60, fucking hate the terrible console port, but I fucking love those games. I’m liking this one, but haven’t gotten too far, end up getting put off when it crashes.) Haven’t tried turning the settings down I was just going to try that.

I get no error reports so am basically trying to find out how to get more information on the crashes.

AMD R1600
Gigabyte Gaming 3
Asus GTX1050Ti Dual
16GB Corsair RAM running at 3200 (Just worked straight away using XMP, Have never booted into windows with this at any other setting.)

I’m hoping this is just some ryzen issue, and a new update will help but something I could fix now would better more awesome.

Try Dialing back the RAM, some boards’ XMP auto sub-timings are way too aggressive or just nonsense/garbage

Running any (CPU, gpu) overclocks?

Are you on the latest UEFI?

Are you using bloatforce experience or the basic driver package?

Also, phantom pain is a pretty good port in the grand scheme of things.

You didn’t mention the PSU you have. What is it? If you want to check it you can use a multimeter. Maybe the PSU is the problem.

What about temperatures inside your case? How many fans are you using? What is your setup?

Finally are other games working just fine in long sessions?

1 Like

I’d run a memtest to see if the xmp settings are stable. You could also try updating the motherboard bios.

1 Like

intensive memory benchmark could potentially show you issues more quickly as well

2 Likes

CPU is standard, the gpu I use GPU tweek II and use either the preset gaming or a custom where I just max the boost clock and memory clock as well as ramping the fans up to 85% (Haven’t seen any higher than 42c)

At time of installation yes. But that was a couple of months. Just checked and it’s still the most recent.

Ah I guess the bloatforce haha.

The controls page in the menu shows a console controller, I couldn’t work fucking anything out until I realised that on the loading screen you can scroll through hints, which I did untill I basically had all the controls.

@DeViLzzz I have a Raidmax 600w 80plus gold psu that’s less than a year old and was power my previous system (Old amd apu 7700 from memory, plus the gpu. It’s currently sitting out in the open, with the psu facing so it’s blowing over the VRM, it’s also winter and I don’t shut the windows in my room.

kibosh the gpu OC, dial back the xmp, get back to us.

are all intense games crashing or just those two?

I’ve tried with the gpu on standard and got nothing.
Oh I’ve not tested with many games only have a 480 gb ssd atm, playerunknowns battlegrounds works fine.

I just had the weirdest thing happen, got that sound like interference from a cell phone when a message is coming through, the screen flashed a whole array of colours, pixelated boxes made up of every colour, then the screen turned off, the computer was still running but when I turned the screen off I got no display.

Yeah that’s definitely a symptom of an iffy card or an OC that was too aggressive.

1 Like

I’m slightly worried, being open, the card has receieved a couple of minor knocks, but didn’t think it should be anything serious.