Craigslist is not a dead end [current: XFX RX 480 8GB]

So, if I could grab this, think I should do it? I know it's old, but 16 physical cores and 128GB of ram is tempting.

I don't know what the offer will be but I was imagining I'd draw the line at $150.

This has been my experience with trying to sell on Craigslist. Insanely annoying tbh, bunch of people looking to get something for nothing or scam you.

I also hate those "how much, does it work, where are you located, etc." questions when it's clearly stated in the posting to begin with

I'm careful to not ask for info that's included in the description. Sometimes what people write isn't terribly clear, unfortunately. I'd rather waste a bit of time with an email than an hour or more going to pick up something and then passing on it. And email gives you an idea of what kind of person the seller is (I had one guy who complained about every question, refused to let me plug in the item to confirm it worked (because they said it worked in the description), and last minute told me to make sure I brought my driver's license because they were going to hold it while I was in their house. I canceled).

I can say the same. I once picked up an i7 920 for the x58 chipset for $120 and i got a pretty crappy asus sabertooth x58 motherboard on ebay. I ended up moving to z77 then now z97 cause my z77 motherboard riped

I started to watch Flea Market Flip and the contestants on the show do the same thing. And in an episode Laura explained why. She said that towards the end of the day the owner of the little stand may accept a lower price and it becomes a win win situation because then the store owner does not need to load up that item into his or her van and you can get a bette deal by asking what they are selling it for. Even tho it is clearly written on a tag.

So I think maybe people on Craigslist ask, hoping that the owner will change their mind on the price. But of course if the item was only on the net for a couple of hours, minutes, or days I would understand your pain.

Got another 1950, a mk III this time. It's... in really nice condition.

2× E5420 @ 2.5GHz
32GB DDR2 ECC RAM
2× 400GB 10k SAS HDDs
2× 670W PSUs

Ad said it needed parts+repairs. Three error codes on boot. However,
- one code was because it has two (redundant) power supplies, and they only plugged in one to test. Plug the other in (or take it out), and this goes away.
- next code was about the cmos battery being near dead, so bios settings, clock, etc. wasn't sticking. Turns out it was just in bad contact. Take it out and re-seat it; it's fine.
- third error was about the perc6/i battery being dead (it really is, but whatever, i can grab another one sometime).

$50 and a 30-minute drive.

This one might end up in colo as the public side of my home network. But haven't figured it out yet.

1 Like

So, to break from "what I got" and do a little "what I'm doing with it"

Pulled these two out of the rack to get them working.
I'm not completely sure what the issue was, but it took a long time to get them talking to each other. Had to clear out the raid configurations several times before i could even see the disks.

Yay! The lights are all flashing (green)!

Six 2TB disks, and a card (perc 5/e) that doesn't do JBOD. I guess I'll try raid 50.
Gonna take a while though.

In the configuration utility, it only tells me that the SMART status is "optimal." Once it's done initializing I'll see if I can load up some tools that tell me more.

Anyone have experience with Windows Server 2008? Is it worth keeping a copy around? I don't plan on using it here, but I cracked the password so keeping it is an option. The license is valid.

update: not going to. they want $400 for it, so this one gets away.

Advice? I don't know much about HP servers / Opterons. Specs look good though. and each has a 300gb sas drive.

Blade 1
Proliant BL465c G7, CPU – OP 6238/12c, 32gb, purchased new January 2012
Blade 2
Proliant BL465c G8, CPU – OP6378/16c (2), 128GB, purchased new February 2013
Blade 3
Proliant BL465c G8, CPU – OP6378/16c (2), 128GB, purchased new February 2013
Blade 4
Proliant BL465c G7, CPU – OP6378/16c (2), 120GB, purchased new February 2013

YOU ALL LEFT ME TO MY OWN DEVICES,

AND NOW LOOK WHAT"S HAPPENED

I own a blade server. As noted above, four blades; two gen7 and two gen8. 108 CORES, 408 GB DDR3 ECC RAM, and 8 300GB 10K SAS DRIVES. Why, oh why, could no one have spoken up and stopped me… Not that I expect to hate them. &*$@DAMN this thing is heavy.

Yes, this was a Craigslist deal. A (somewhat local) power company at the end of their 5-year equipment cycle. I anyone is in central Indiana, be aware they’re still selling: a couple R710’s, a couple Proliants, three storage shelves and a bunch of switches. If you can’t find the listings, PM me and I’ll get their contact info for you.

So, pictures forthcoming. I need to rest a bit.

3 Likes

I wish I had a blade server, but I don't know how to set one up. :(. So owning one would be pointless.

irrelevant! IRRELEVANT!!!

3 Likes

So, all the things pulled out. It's better this way. Only about a hundred and twenty pounds instead of three hundred.

I've never had a computer with SIX nine hundred watt power supplies before.

And six jet engines!
just… holy cow. would not want to get my fingers stuck in there.

Interlink module (iiuc, allows you to connect multiple enclosures together) and a KVM… which I can connect to my KVM.

Networking!

And what's behind the dust covers? ooOOooh fiber channel jacks

And lastly, this thingy, which manages the enclosure. With a little pop-out display.

BLADES!!
Proliant BL465c, two Gen 7, two Gen 8. Specifics a few posts above.

Crazy connector. Ha — a micro SD card slot! Makes a lot of sense.

So, I thought this was pretty neat. Here's your hard drive…

…and WHAT'S THAT BEHIND IT!?

Why YES, it's a second hard drive. I'd never seen anything like this. And apparently, neither had the seller, because they advertised this as each blade including only one drive.

Time to open it up.

wow. All that RAM.

All I can think of is that Weird Al song. I've got four hundred gigabytes of ram.

Time to pull more things apart. I knew I bought these crazy screwdrivers for a reason.

aaaand pull a few plugs, and one more screw in the back, slide forward and lift out. Easy peasy.

Here's the magical CPUs. Looking at the fins on those tiny heatsinks, the jet engines start to make sense.

In my excitement and drive for photograpy, I started to slide stuff back into their places. But I should really wait until this is racked, and my son was working late and says he won't help tonight : )

So it'll sit empty until tomorrow, at least. Whew… exhausting day.

4 Likes

Over 100 Gigabytes of RAM? - I know who is not going to swap to disk any more :)

isn't kijiji only canadian though

desktop?

Despite how manically happy I was when these blades spun up, I began to realize that they won't see too much use in my little home server lab. I have six sixteen-core processors, and RAM to match. Maybe I should be thinking in a different direction.

I'm going to have to do some serious research into this, but maybe I should be looking for a ATX/EATX motherboard that would allow me to turn some of these parts into a new desktop machine. Parting out the extra components could cover most, if not all, the costs.

Looking for Advice.

I'd be running Linux. Would probably virtualize my daily driver and work machines (and others from time to time). I game sometimes but definitely not a lot/seriously (so, this is really not a big concern); workloads are typically programming, a little 3d modeling or video, and just general desktop use. tl;dr: I'm well-suited to "more cores" vs. "more speeds."

Ideas:

I'd want at least two of the Opteron 6378's.

I'd want at least 128GB of the RAM.

I have an old amd gpu that I'd use for the host, and I'd pass my GTX 1050ti through to my primary machine. I also have a 750ti which could conceivably be passed to another machine, though I don't think this would be necessary.

I have several USB3 pcie cards to bring connectivity up-to-date.

I have disks (a few SSDs, 2 4TB HDDs).

Things I'd need to get:

A motherboard, which could handle all of the other specs. So far looks like Asus WS boards would be my best bet, but the one's I've found so far are still fairly expensive… The ASUS KGPE-D16, for example, looks like a pretty good choice, but it's still $400 - $500. I'd rather keep it under $200.

CPU coolers (something like this, maybe).

A HBA card, to offload i/o from the cpus (maybe?).

A case. I like minimal, utilitarian cases. The main design feature would be "can fit an EATX board."

Anyway… I'm thinking about it. Advice is appreciated, especially if you have relevant experience.

Thanks!

Take the opterons and make a 2 / 4 CPU workstation. The boards exist.

As for me my journey will soon start for a new iBook, an apple G5, and some RISC machines.

Woo-hoo! Had to drive an hour, but kept my promise to myself not to pay more than MSRP!

2 Likes

Damn, nice, got an fm2 motherboard with usb 3.1, a a6-5400k, wireless usb dongle, and a 450 watt evga power supply for $80,

Also hell of a necro

Nice! please feel free to post pics, if you like!