Cpu Temps

Hey Guys Yesturday I just bought an AMD phenom II x6 1100T and my cpu temps vary depending on the monitoring software, now different software monitor different components that I understand for example speed fan takes my CPU temp which i heard is the temperature of the actual metal plate which comes into contact with the heatsink and the thermal compound however, Core temp takes my cpu core temp which is the actual temperature of the cores, now what my question is, what should I care about more ? is it a problem if my core temps rise over 62 C underload(prime95) or is it a bigger problem if my Cpu temp rises over 62C ? *****My cpu temp is almost around 7-10 C higher then my actual core temps.

Care about the core temps. 62c is nothing, they are designed to take 90+ celcius

well those temps are not going to fry your CPU or anything, but if its getting those temps and its not overclocked, and its not the stock cooler you might want to try reseating the heatsink

GreenSLi said:

Care about the core temps. 62c is nothing, they are designed to take 90+ celcius

Um...what? Last time I checked AMD's temperature cap was 60C...maybe 70C if you're willing to risk it. Intel can take temps up to 80C though.

Phenom 2s can definately handle up to 80c but typically dont get that hot, I've never seen my 720 go over 70c and I've had it at 3.6GHz before.

wooly4 said:

Phenom 2s can definately handle up to 80c but typically dont get that hot, I've never seen my 720 go over 70c and I've had it at 3.6GHz before.

Weird...I always heard the limit was 60C.

well I believe it says that on the AMD website but I've seen quite a few of Phenom 2s run at 70c+ for extended periods of time just fine, but like I said that rarely happens. It probably shortens the life of the CPU pretty bad tho

Vortex said:

Weird...I always heard the limit was 60C.

What do they make cpu's off? plastic? 0_o

It cant be 60. Any cpu goes above that with no problem if they want to

GreenSLi said:

What do they make cpu's off? plastic? 0_o

yea...why u think their so cheap?

The limit of AMD CPUs is about 60c. But it doen't really matter because they normally don't run hot anyway.

OP, the temp sensors in the AMD 6 core CPUs are buggered. My old 1055t used to report temps of 90c and -3 in the BIOS simultaneously!