Cpu/processor died of static(?). can i revive it?

NOTE: I know I wasnt supposed to do this, i was having a panic /anxiety attack and did things without thinking AT ALL.

hi, i was washing my cpu under water to remove the old cooling paste.
some water got on the pins, so i used a pressure blower machine to dry it.
now the pc turns off instantly when i press the start button, the fan spins for 0.2 seconds then turns off.

can i bake it in the oven like a gpu, or can i find out some how which of the pins stopped working?

maybe i can just buy a new cpu, how do i know which motherboard my computer has, if the cpu has 2 listed motherboard sockets compatible.

It’s in a HP probook 6450b i7 620m. I dont mind if its a worse cpu, the cpu that died was an i3 370m from another machine that was way worse in all aspects, i took all the good parts into the other pc and that one works.

One is PGA or pin grid array. This means the pins are on the CPU. The other is BGA or ball grid array. This means the CPU is soldered. Given you removed it, you have a PGA chip.

I dont know that washing a CPU would kill it right away but putting it back into the socket wet probably could. The static generated from fast moving air could kill it but usually you need a path to ground for the ESD to happen otherwise theres not really any current flow, just potential energy. Did you get a static shock from the part or no?

In any case, you should try removing all components minus the cpu from the board. If it turns on but gives you a continuous beep thats a pretty good sign.

1 Like

PLEASE DO NOT BAKE HARDWARE

I just had an issue like this cleaning my buddies motherboard basically an alcohol bath. While not too conductive for the most part in my experience.
There was some alcohol present in his cpu socket.
I had to grab my reflow bench from home and set the temp to 180F and carefully and slowly heated the socket to evaporate the alcohol.

Perhaps some water was present in your case.
While water may not completely destroy what its touching i.e. a small area shorted it may begin to corrode. Although it should be minuscule. If you have a blow dryer that will be better since it will heat up but not rapidly like a heatgun or reflow bench. I would just touch the area being heated every few seconds to make sure there is not too much heat being applied.

Most modern motherboards have some form of short protection.

Honestly in the future just buy the highest % rubbing alcohol you can find and put it in a spray bottle or get a nozzle that has not been used and attach it to the alcohol bottle.

If its that caked on just use an old toothbrush in combination of the alcohol to remove the old paste and let it dry thorougly.

1 Like

hihi, thanks for your replies!

I normally use high % alcohol, and I know all this stuff. It’s just that; this one time my brain didn’t do like it should.

I do not think water was present, as I had used a compressor to blow it dry, and then let it sit on a piece of paper for a while.

The symptoms better described:

1 Press power button.
2 System turns on all lamps that it should, first that it has power then it flashes all the lamps at the same time but only for 0.2 seconds, fan turns on for 0.2 seconds too
3 system turns off.

I tried pushing the power button without anything in the cpu socket, and no ram etc. and it had the same symptoms, same thing happens when i have cpu in and no ram etc. (same with ram too, tried 3 sticks.)

I got no shock from the cpu

Tried with battery and powercord.

Update:
If I hold the powerbutton; the power indicator( that it has power) turns on. When I release it, the hdd, wifi, power, email, powerbutton, etc all turns on but instantly off again.

2nd update:

I put a selica gel bag in the cpu socket and put the laptop upside down.
I also put the cpu on a selica gel.

You could have blown some of the water into miniscule nooks and crannies such that the (ed: water)volumes contact with air would be small enough to significantly increase the evaporation time. once back in the cramped hotbox that is a laptop the remaining trace amounts could conceivably have evaporated within. But this is all conjecture on my part.

TL;DR: You might have thought that you were going to save time by using a compressor to blow the water off of the cpu but in the end not only the easier but perhaps quicker method would have been to leave the part to just dry off through evaporation alone in a dry warm room.

Note that some people who use water(and sometimes even soapy water) to clean really thicc and bad grime off of their components leave the components to try for weeks if not months(most likely since after a few weeks it can be easy to just plain forget).

And finally as alluded to by @Theonewhoisdrunk better to use alcohol.

Update: Laptop fully working again.
Ran some memtest and stresstests.

I found a 7**QM cpu i found, put it in the socket and the same symptoms occured.
I know the laptop doesnt have any graphicscard and the cpu doesnt have one either, so I wasnt expecting a boot. But this shouldnt instantly turn off.

I dismounted everything in the laptop, every casing and cable.
Used the compressor to blow straight into the socket of the CPU, and then all the rest of the board.(This time having much less pressure, and no condensation in the compressor)

I put the Cpu and Ram in, plugged the powercable in and the power button. Pressed on, and it started.

Reassembled it, and ran some prime95 and memtest to check that everything seemed alive and well.

It passed the tests, and the laptop itself seem to work.

Thank you all for your time to read through and comment on my post ^-^

Forgot to add!
It MAY have been to do with the “I” at the CPU socket that you turn with a screw driver to lock the CPU in place. It COULD be that it wasnt screwed all the way like it was supposed to.
But it COULD also be dust, or anything else, or metallic chips that had landed inside of the laptop somehow. I do not know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

Guess it had some dust in the socket or something.