CPU Overclocking experience

I recently overclocked my 4670k to 4.5 ghz by just going to the bios and synchronizing all the core ratios to 4.5. After I saved it on exit, my up to date motherboard (bios version 2005) did all the work for me automatically. I've been monitoring the voltage, so far it only utilizes 1.2762v max, coupled with some decent temperatures.

Before I did any of that, at the very beginning, I used the motherboard's 4 way optimization feature that ASUS provided for my motherboard - it helps overclock the CPU automatically. The motherboard I have is the ASUS z87 Pro. After I used the 4 way optimization, it only overclocked the CPU up to 4.4 on the 1st and 2nd core, and 4.3 on the 3rd and 4th core.

I wasn't pleased with the results, so I went to the bios. At first I had no complete idea of what to do, every button depicted was unfamiliar to me and even gave me a bad feeling in mind if I made a mistake tinkering with the settings, so I searched overclocking forums online and watched overclocking guide videos for my haswell CPU.

My goal was to reach 4.5 ghz and nothing lower; most of my overclocks ended up in a BSOD due to low voltages, high temperatures, RAM issues (I heard haswell doesn't overclock well if you increase the RAM speed together with the core ratio). After days of dilemma and endless BSOD even after 10 hours of stress test using AIDA 64, I finally gave up. After my last BSOD today, I set everything in my bios back to default, but deep inside I still wanted to tinker for one last time, so I did what I mentioned earlier, I just synchronized all the core ratios to 4.5 and left the bios after saving it. I was anticipating a BSOD, but nothing happened, so I tested it by playing heavy games and again nothing happened, I didn't used any stress test programs since most of my stress test before often ended up in BSOD even after 10 hours or more of torture to both of my GPU and CPU. 

I'm still expecting this one to fail sooner or later, probably the new bios update is the reason why it didn't fail just yet. My experience with overclocking was full of headaches, doubts, crossed-fingers, heart aches, crashes and BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH.

How about you? how was your overclocking experience?

more or less similar to yours. I have settled in on 4.5 Ghz as well. Although about once a month I feel the need to overclock until it Megahertz (hehe) and will tinker with it. I have a profile for 4.6 ghz that I use in the winter time, and a 4.7 ghz that I have been tinkering with for months that I use for Benchmarks/competitions.

4.8 Ghz has been eluding me. I can boot into windows, and log in, and do pretty much nothing and it will BSOD. And it gets HOT. Im thinking this winter ima open my windows on a subzero day and get a 4.8 Ghz benchmark.

The overclock failed, just a few minutes after I posted this hours ago, anything lower than 1.3754v is a no go, and I'm not even sure with that voltage either, since 1.34 to 1.36 failed miserably. Last time I checked, my CPU at 4.5 ghz needed 1.4034v when I was observing it for a few seconds running AIDA 64 at adaptive voltage. I might have to buy a CPU liquid cooler to maintain decent temperatures; I'm really getting tired of using my air-conditioner to cool down my system. I really have a bad chip, but it's all I got and I better get the most out of it. Buying a new one isn't a good idea, I might end up with a bad a chip again. If all else fails, I don't mind stock clocks or lower stable overclocks like 4.3 ghz on all cores at adaptive voltage. Oh well, I hope you're happy with your build, enjoy PC gaming!

The D14 is a pretty solid aircooler. You'd need to go to a fairly expensive AIO or a custom loop to see better temperatures.

What temperatures are you seeings?

You have to remember that OCing is very dependent on luck. Certain CPUs OC better than others. Haswell is notoriously fickle about OCing.; Most don't overclock well at all. You may have simply hit the limit. 

With out air-conditioning, but with ambient temperatures around 21° Celsius/ 70° Fahrenheit at 4.5 ghz on all cores with 1.3754v, idle: 35° Celsius/ 95° Fahrenheit load: 68° Celsius/ 154.4° Fahrenheit. With air-conditioning, it's cool enough to stay below 72° Celsius/ 161.6° Fahrenheit. The custom loop is out of my preferred budget, but I might reconsider.

Those temperatures shouldn't be giving you BSODs. The temps are within limits as the danger zone is around 105 C. Even if it was running hot you'd see throttling more than crashes. 

I honestly think you've just gotten bad luck with the CPU. I don't think more cooling will help you. 

I'll keep that in mind - thanks for the help!

Ok so I read whats been said...DerKrieger is basically right. I have a very good 4670K I run 4.5 Ghz off 1.3v and can drop it to 1.28v if I want to. But my motherboard is kinda cheap and doesn't give clean power delivery above 1.35v so I can't get a stable overclock above 4.6 Ghz

Pretty much as long as your 4670K is sitting around 80 degrees Centigrade under a realistic full load (gaming, folding, etc) Then you are fine. My computer has been folding for a few days straight (I only stop folding when gaming) and no crash, temps sit around 70C.

Keep in mind that Haswell was designed to run hotter than Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge, so be ready to pour on the heat and see some spectacular performance out of your chip.

-Note, although the chip has a Thermal Junction max of 100 C, I wouldn't suggest you let it sit above 90C for any extended period of time because the heat may actually damage your motherboard.

Duly noted. :)