Cpu over-voltage error help!

Hey so I got a CPU over-voltage error today for the first time today but I’m not sure what caused it or if it would have any damage to my components. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to why this could of happened? It only happened once though and it never happened again since. I have my PC plugged into a OLD UPS but I swapped it for a new one I had as soon as that error happened and it didn’t come back ever since so I’m not sure if that’s it.

My PC seems to be working fine though as it was before. The Overclock is still stable and temperatures are really great but when I pressed F1 to go into the bios at the time it happened it showed my voltage at 4 or 5 V something really insane but I’m sure that would of fried my chip if it would have actually been that high right?

While doing some research on this it said that it could be my cmos battery going so I would change that as soon as I can if it were to happen again but my settings in the BIOS are being saved properly so I’m not sure if it’s actually that either.

The setup I’m using is a i7 5820k @ 1.280V , Corsair Dominator Platinums 3200 Mhz @ 1.35v 4x4 Quad channel memory, Asus x99 sabertooth motherboard, Corsair RMi 850 Gold Rated power Supply, EVGA GTX 970 SSCs in SLI and a EK custom loop kit for CPU cooling.

It would be much appreciated if someone can give me some advice on what I should actually be testing for and checking for? it would give me a peace of mind knowing my components won’t just be destroyed suddenly :cold_sweat:

Did you recently update the bios or something?

Also idk what your settings are in regards to your manual overclock?
Like vcore, llc levels etc?

But yeah 4V on vcore will kill the chip.
So it was likely a bios glitch.
You could check if there is a new bios out for the board.

Yeah there is a updated bios out for my motherboard.

My VCORE is 1.280 V manual and RAM voltage set to 1.35 V

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.