CPU/ Mobo Replacement (budget)

In this thread it was discussed that my motherboard is most likely going bad. I have a budget to replace it and was looking for recommendations. I’m currently running a 5820k and an ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1. I’m thinking of trying out the AMD side of the house as it fits more in line with my budget.

This is what I’ve currently come up with;
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X $207.99
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F $115.63
Noctua NH-D9L $54.95

Total: $378.57

My budget is $400 and I threw in the cooler because I wasn’t sure about the stock AMD coolers and my Kraken x61 wont fit on an AM4 socket. Feel free to change things around or make other recommendations as long as they stay within my budget.

You can get a free braket from nzxt if you’ve got the receipt, though my waterblock braket was like $10
https://support.nzxt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003420908-How-can-I-get-an-AM4-bracket-for-my-Kraken-?mobile_site=true

1 Like

Doing that now, hope they accept my newegg receipt.

1 Like

Well honnestly i´m not sure if an upgrade from X99 5820K,
to a Ryzen 2600X is really an significant upgrade tbh.
I mean its a side grade at best, and you will lose on pci-e connectvitiy.

But of course if your board is on its way out then yeah…
If you could find a X99 board for cheap…

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t know if that’s true everywhere and I don’t know your use case, but if you need it for some kind of workload more CPU intensive than gaming, 1700X shouldn’t be that much more expensive and packs 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads. But gaming wise 2600X is better choice because of its higher frequency.

Again, if he gets 1700x then it’s definitely an upgrade. And knowing how hot it is, a simple 212 Black or something will be just fine cooling it… You don’t really need high end water-cooling for Ryzen unless you overclock…

1 Like

Ryzen 7 cpu would be an upgrade indeed in terms of productivity workloads.

Its more just a replacement. My mobo looks like its dying and I just need something that can game. I don’t really do much else that’s CPU intensive. As long as that CPU would be adequate I’m not too worried about losing some performance. A 5820k was overkill in the first place.

Thats a sort of decent side grade… I say side grade because teh 2600X is a fantastic CPU but the 5820K has a lot of life left in it. My recommendation sell those darn parts while you can. Get some more money out of them and move up to a Ryzen R7 1700/1700X if you can or its newer variant… Or if you are set on a 2600X which is perfectly fine AT least go with an x470 motherboard so you have a great upgrade path in the future. Its likely the 3xxx ryzen series will be TR4 and the 470 chipset will get UEFI upgrade to support them in theory. Way I see it if your going to cheap out do not do it on the motherboard… do it on the CPU !

That noctua will do well for ryzen. Its very thermally efficient