CPU Longevity

One of the things I never see discussed in the AMD vs Intel debate is how long will a cpu last for gaming? We all know the fx 8350 and the i5 3570k will perform at acceptable levels for gaming now...but which will still be viable 6 or 7 years from now getting >30 fps in warcraft 4 3v3?  I am still rocking my x4 940, so I don't buy into the logic of upgrading every 3-4 years but I wonder what is the maximum IPC for the material used in current cpus and when will the dogma shift from core IPC to cpu IPC (multicore scaling)? I worry the algorithm dependencies will outpace the gain in IPC from both intel and AMD.

Having more real cores will become even more important thanks to the increase in the number of cores in both of the major consoles, so games will become more and more designed around having access to more cores and x86 processing.

Also, the number of instructions per cycle won't change with time unless you are forced by a poor overclocking attempt to lower your clock rate to maintain stability.

if you want to buy a cpu now, that will still get good performance in the future, then you better go with a FX8350  8 core.

Theorie  a intel core i5 3570k has 4 real cores, and has no hyper trading.so it can do only 4 threads!

So games that uses upto 4 cores then the i5  will perform good.

But with an i7 3770k has also 4 cores with HT that makes it can do 8 threads. but the Hypertrading cores of the i7 isnt so powerfull as a real core. its only about 12 procent or so.

The AMD FX8350 has 4 modules wich each 2 real cores. so thats make that this cpu realy has 8 cores. and 16 mb of total cash. 

so wenn games in the future go optimized for more then 4 cores  that will be probabley 6, then The AMD wil blow the i7 away, cause the single core perfomance of i7 is better cause the hypertrading, but wenn games gonne use 6 threads  6 cores, then the i7 with only 4 real and 4 weaker virtual cores, just too weak to  go up against the 8 real cores from the amd.

I honestly don't think this more core utilization stuff is going to major greatly.

This is how I think about it: Most people saying future games will use more cores etc because of the ps4's 8core and also the idea of moving forward, which is logical and ideal,

BUT one of he reasons why the ps4 will have an 8core is beause sony is pushing for the ps4 to stream and do other tasks while gaming. Most of use has probably watched Logan's video about him opening the can on the 8350 and the more cores do help with streaming. 

We've gotten a taste of what's coming with crysis 3 and the 8350 and the 3570k are around the same. So, we are starting to see an improvement, but nothing totally major or mindblowing. Now, this may not be the be all and end all of "next gen" but it's something to get our feet wet.

I think it just boils down to new video cards that come out, like it always been. Multitasking etc is part of the future and that needs more cores, not necessarily strictly for game optimization, my opinion, mind you.

Well, the thing about comparing Intel and AMD is what Tiny Tom Logan was talking about on OC3D :" The thing about processors from AMD is that you can't really compare things like the 8350 with the 3930k, or even the 3770k because that isn't what AMD was aiming for, and the difference in price is just ridiculous." or something like that, I can't be bothered to go find that video again and watch it the few times it would take to catch the line perfectly. But the basic premise is accurate enough. You can't really compare the performance of the AMD high-end CPU's and the Intel ones because they are intended for entirely different price brackets and as such the performance is so dramatically different. It doesn't mean that AMD processors are bad for the money, because they aren't, they are actually really good for the money. What it means is that, after a certain point, if you absolutely must have that crazy performance regardless of the price, then you should look at Intel, because AMD's range of desktop processors only goes to the "8 core" 8350, which costs a whopping $200. Intel's high-end desktop chip is the quad core 3770k which retails for around $350. Then after that with intel you have the six core 3930k which costs around $560, after that you have the extremes, both of which cost over $1000. As you can see, the performance is suitably impressive, but equally expensive. AMD just doesn't even bother to play ball in that court anymore. Although they do have some really impressive server chips, with up to 16 cores per chip, with multi-chip motherboards for server use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113307