CPU gaming performance/Opinions

This is true, their internal tuning is really good I have to say and gets the most it can out of the silicon based on the system it’s in. IE cooling, power, silicon ability… I really wish I understood it better. Hey @wendell any videos on this? Why is AMDs internal “governing” is a good word I guess, so good?

that’s how I set up my thread count/game for your info
and how I know for a fact many titles other than AAA use 4 and sometimes 2 cores without even hyperthreading ><

msi afterburner+rivatuner+aida64 (for the power figures) there are guides on youtube to set up something similar

best case scenario the game only uses a few cores and that’s it but in threadripper or high core count ryzen like the 5950x the game will start jumping from core to core seemingly at random creating stuttering and frame drops rather than a nice smooth fps line

this is not something that usually shows in benchmarks but that you will experience ingame

1 Like

Nice, yeah sadly I haven’t delved to deep into the on screen monitors…I should for giggles I run enough benches lol I’ll have to learn how to set it up. I forget what that program is called that links into afterburner… oh you know…crap…can’t think of it :thinking:

^ this.

I switched from 6850k on x99 to 11900k on z590 and my 3090 doubled performance in games.

System bandwidth is everything these days.

1 Like

I considered this as well, but hard to tell if that’s cpu uplift or motherboard pcie… from what I’ve read pcie doesn’t make a huge difference. I could be wrong but I don’t think pcie 3.0 is a bottleneck even for the 3090… 4.0 may be faster yes, but I don’t have numbers on a % wise of difference.

There was also a large bus speed increase from x99 to z570

You aren’t…

It isn’t.
2.0 Isn’t really a bottleneck for the majority of GPUs. Only the highest of high end current gen may see some serious performance downgrade. But if you are putting 6900XT or 3090 on a PCIe2.0 system you have much deeper issues than the bandwidth.

Of course it has. Older weaker CPUs are literally crippling the Nvidia GPUs. Have you seen the Hardware Unboxed and I think Gamers Nexus had videos on that issue. 5600XT can outperform your GPU on your old system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.