CPU fan error and cpu over temp error

Dear L1T,

I am in a bit of a pickle, I think I may have either broken my AIO. So before I start let me preface a few things.

Specs: Asus Rampage 5, i7 5960x, kraken x61 aio, ripjaw 4 16gb DDDR4 at 2133mhz, gigabyte g1 HTC 970, 2 evo ssd’s, wd 1tb HDD, evga 1000W gold psu all in a h440 case.

So for almost a while I had a cpu fan error because of using an AI0 with 3 pin header, I’ve read it’s normal and the fix is to set the cpu fan monitor to disabled, however every time I do that, the bios will reset the option. However the temperatures were all fine.

Fast forward to today, I did some dusting of my room and I cleaned all the filters, I accidentally disconnected the pump header while cleaning so I reconnected it. After turning it on, I realized I may have plugged it into the wrong 3/4 pins of the CPU_FAN header, so I fixed it. However this started causing a new issue, the CPU temp gets really hot, going up to 85c. The pump is on and the led are all on, including rad fans. However temperature keeps increasing and cpu throttles. The aio pump head and the pipes near the pump head get extremely hot, but anywhere else along the tube it’s cold.

So is the pump dead or something else?

Thanks for the assist.

Sounds like a dead pump. :frowning:

1 Like

Feel along the tubes runing from the pump to the radiator.
Does the radiator get warm?

Sounds like the Pump is gone.

The pump head is vibrating however the pump head and the pipe leading to it gets hot to the touch, everywhere else feels look warm, rad fans however is exhausting hot air. Could my CPU_Fan header die to? Because I’m wondering how the pump died, can me plugging in the 3pin into the wrong 3 pin out of the 4pin cpu fan header cause this ?

The pump head is vibrating however the pump head and the pipe leading to it gets hot to the touch, everywhere else feels look warm, rad fans however is exhausting hot air. Could my CPU_Fan header die to? Because I’m wondering how the pump died, can me plugging in the 3pin into the wrong 3 pin out of the 4pin cpu fan header cause this ?

Also i noticed something, if I unplug my AIO pump header from CPU_FAN and plug into CPU_OPT the the pump runs but it makes too much sound, temps stay around 30c. This gives me the opportunity to check BIOS header settings, but everytime i try to change the option to DC and save, my mobo bootloops at 6F q-code, i then clear CMOS and when i boot up the pump still makes noises but the temperature starts climbing again.

Could be. Would have to have an oscilloscope to confirm the header (or electronics behind it) being damaged.

In PWM-mode the pump still gets 12V, so current is in check. As water pumps draw very high power compared to fans, going lower on voltage results in huge current, which may overload the chip that create that DC voltage.

So after waiting awhile, it def seems something is wrong with the pump, putting the pump header into the CPU_Opt header causes the pump to make atrocious sounds and the temp stabilizes but then it just keeps getting super hot, while using cpu_fan the pump makes normal noises. I even left the pc off for awhile to make sure its not a bubble issue.

I called nzxt but my warrenty is out and now given the economic status, I might be sol…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.