Corsair Hydro Series H55 Cooler, when do I replace it?

I’ve had this cooler for about a year on October 23 ,2016. Its my first water cooler and I want to know how to maintain it properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Quiet-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B009VV56TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512254586&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+hydro+h55

1.Should I use it since its been a year? I see that I should replace the liquid every 6 months. But its all-in-one cooler.

1. I had accidentally purchase a second one at that time, can I use that second one that I kept safe in my closet, sealed away?

Most liquid coolers are good basically until the pump dies, and that usually takes a long while. A year of use is almost never enough to kill an AIO.

Do not replace the liquid. You only replace liquid in custom loops or some niche AIO’s that are expandable, your unit is neither of those things.

What you should do is set a safe thermal shutdown point and continue to use the cooler. If in a couple years time, because a couple years is a typical lifespan for one of these, the pump does die, then the system will shutoff at your already set thermal shutdown point.

2 Likes

I had an H55 that I ran for at least 4 years. I purchased it back in mid 2013. I just have it laying around now doing nothing.
Only thing I did was replace the stock fan with a NF-F12.

1 Like

I have an H55 and an H110, both running since 2013. Both have been running 24/7, H55 for the last year and the H110 since 2013. Both are completely fine except for the odd time when a bubble is caught in the pump due to how my rad has been positioned. Just have to shake it out. Usually after moving the system.

1 Like

Speaking of that, @OP you’d benefit the longevity of your cooler by positioning properly. Mounting the radiator on the top of your case is always good. If you mount the cooler on the front or back of your case, make sure the tubes are sitting on what would be the bottom of the radiator in that orientation. If the tubes are ‘up,’ then any air which gets into the loop has a greater likelyhood of being sucked through the pump. Positioning the tubes at the bottom of the radiator aids in keeping any air from being in position where it would be sucked through the pump, damaging or degrading the pump faster than when water is flowing through.

1 Like

Dam, I’m an example of what not to do. I did it just because I knew it would be difficult due to space constraints and mounting in the least optimal position for reducing risk of bubbles offered best cooling capability lol.

2 Likes