Corsair H80i "V2" on i7 5820k enough for 4.4 Ghz?

Hey “leveloners.” I was curious if any of you knew whether the Corsair H80i V2 cooler would be enough to cool my i7 5820k–specifically if I were to overclock it to 4.4Ghz on 1.3 volts or so. Feel free to leave your thoughts below.

I got 4.3 on an NHD-15 back when I had the 5820k It worked really well. As long as you have decent silicon the h80 shouldn’t do too back. Just watch the thermals closely, they go up fast once you stress all 6 cores

1 Like

If you have already bought the cooler and opened the box, all that is left is to test how far you can push the CPU. If you are looking to buy the cooler, then it is advisable to look for testing done with a similar CPU and the H80i:

Tested with a H75:

“The Core i7-5930K, which incidentally is a retail CPU, has been the best overclocker so far, with our Asus X99 Deluxe managing a clock speed of 4.55GHz using 1.315V and a x36 multiplier along with a bus speed of 126.36MHz. Of course this was on the ragged edge as far as thermals go, with the CoreTemp reported temperature hovering around 94°C in Prime95. The Core i7-5820K, though, would only go as far as 4.3GHz, where we only needed a vcore of 1.25V using a bus speed of 123MHz and multiplier of x35. 4.4GHz just wasn’t an option, with the CPU voltage and thermals being the limiting factors.”

The 4.4GHz @ 1.3v sounds reasonable and will probably be achievable with the H80i. It is not a guarantee though. It will probably reach it’s limits pretty fast if you run certain Prime 95 loads at 4.2GHz-4.4GHz (1.3v). Maybe you got a really good chip though.

I ran a Phenom II X6 1055t at 3.8GHz/1.4v using a dinky 120mm CoolitECO cooler for years. That CPU drew well over 200W. It is still running in a HTPC (what a waste of energy) today, 7 years later.

My Sandy-e 3930K was under a H80i for around four years. It wasn’t at 4.4GHz as I did not win the silicon lottery with my and 4.2 was the best I could get. It will cool the CPU but it will not be quiet.

I had to swap out my D14 because the heat from the back of the graphics card (7970) was heat soaking the air cooler. By going to an AIO cooler it took the heat away from the area taking it to the edge of the case where it could be exhausted out.

So yes it’s good enough but it will not be quiet.

i think its doable, but the Haswell-EP are really hot when Overclocked, i have mine on 4.3Ghz but im using custom cooling, when i was using a H100i i had like 45-50°C idle and 70°C underload, this CPU usually can handle 80-85°C Without a problem and will start throttling on 90-92°C, so i think that it will be good.

I will also recommend replacing the Stock Corsair fan, they are usually really loud under load.

-Fallen