Corrupted EDID?

Okay, my second monitor suddenly mentions it's maximum resolution is 640x480 using HDMI, tried using different HDMI cables and still shows that. Tried the DVI port and it shows the maximum resolution as 1920x1080, the way it was meant to be.

I then tried using a different monitor, on the same HDMI port and HDMI cable used on the afflicted monitor, and lo and behold, it works.

After testing over and over again, I am lead to believe my second monitor's EDID is corrupted; been googling around on how to do it and was able to find some nifty stuff, but I wanna hear from you guys if you ever had success in updated/fixing corrupted EDID by yourselves?

In all honesty, I can use AMD Catalyst to force the 1920x1080 resolution, but I still want a real fix.

My monitor is out of warranty so I wanted to try it out first before resorting to taking it a shop.

So once again, lemme know if you guys got any tips or tricks regarding EDID repair and if you guys are successful in doing it by yourselves =]

My monitor is Dell S230L 23" IPS monitor...

And yes, I accidentally connected this monitor while it was still on unto my PC while it was also on... one of the causes for corrupting EDID as I hear lol T_T

Thanks in advance

I have no experience with EDID but Custom Resolution Utility CRU for over clocking mentions it and can be used to set a resolution and refresh rate for the monitor. It may have a full fix or it may be a band aid.. One thing though when you update your drivers it resets CRUs settings so note them down if you cannot permanenly fix it.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

I just tried it, but strangely, the second display always goes blank after applying the settings.

I guess I should just make due with the custom resolution option in AMD Catalyst... It does the job anyways. I am too obsessive compulsive for my own good sometimes lol

But thank you for the CRU info, first time I heard of that. It may come in handy in the future if something F's up my display again heheheh

If I understand correctly, the monitor was, at a certain point, connected to different sources simultaneously.So yes possibly the inputs were affected; at that point the monitor was the common ground for all the devices connected to the said monitor.
I have experienced weird problems with connecting 2 or 3 displayport devices on a 7990. It seems that catalyst gets confused..............(IMO) In that case I have to leave only 1 monitor and reboot (cold reboot). and then again sometimes I have to screw around with catalyst.
Try the monitor alone on your system and see how catalyst identifies it. When I connected 3 monitors on the 7990, HDMI kept defaulting to 480x640. (WTF).

The monitor wasn't connected to different sources simultaneously, it was more of a spontaneous thing that happened but I noted to have forgotten to close or unplug my monitor when I was reconnecting it at one point; that might have caused the problem..

Sadly, I also tried using the second monitor on it's own on the same port and same cable that the good monitor was using to no avail...

A part of me just wants to fix the corrupted EDID because I am a bit OC lol

But I guess, at least for now, the catalyst drivers forcing an EDID override to display 1080p is good enough for now...

Sure in my head, I'm thinking "but it isn't really fixed on the inside...", but hey, I should probably consider myslef lucky that it was just a corrupt EDID than the whole monitor shorting out! hahahah

Hi ! I would not worry about connecting a monitor HOT, if anything it is the graphic card that is the most at risk. In the past it was a important precaution, because of voltages present in the signal connectors. I would ,just fussy me, try a new signal cable on both; check visually for spotted pin tips, wiggle during the test the connectors, at both ends, reverse the connections. All this to isolate the source item causing the inconsistencies. In other words find a reference point before trying to find a solution.
Again I indicate that I had a similar problem; and it seems it was the cartalyst (15.70) drivers. (IMO)

Yep, I have tried different cables, and difference signal ports on both the afflicted and working monitor; and ended up with consistent results as the HDMI seems to have a max resolution of 640x480, and the DVI has the right resolution.

At one point I even uninstalled Catalyst and removed the GPU just in case; even the iGPU shows 640x480...

But you know what, Ima give it another go; I seem to have a renewed vigor to try and fix this again lol

As you mentioned, when you attached three monitors, it showed the max resolution as 640x480 right? After you did the cold reboot on the bad monitor, connecting it on its own, and then connecting the other 2 monitors, did it revert back to its native?

I am more and more convinced it is something in the Catalyst suite. You mention the bad monitor; that is the mystery, everything checked on it s own tested ok!!!!!!!! It is only when involving modifications that everything goes crazy. Sometimes , with 2 40 s, enabling the desktop duplication (for testing purposes) and everything fucked-up. (excuse the highly technical , but adequate, term). If I remember, when with catalyst 14.4, I do not recall these problems. But then again at 61, my ram is not what is used to be (lol). :-)

PS a bad pin or pin receptor could screw-up the monitor ident (IMO)

as for the question, after the reboot, depending on what I had connected, it gave different results, including reverting to 4k or to my preset 1080p.

I am beginning to think it may also be the Catalyst drivers, I'll prolly try and uninstall it and see what Intel Graphics would do to it when plugged alone.

I tried doing the cold reset, connecting it using an HDMI cable I know that works, on the port of the video card that I know also works well, but it still showed max resolution of 640x480...

I'll try and uninstall catalyst and see where this goes from there lol