Coreboot system76?

From what I get gather, coreboot on system76 machines are working right now. It’s just that I can’t find how should one flash it to their machines.

Any ideas?

I have a galp3 that I could test on

https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/28640

2 Likes

I’m trying to find the source on this, but I read yesterday that while it’s being worked on, it’s not yet ready for widespread use.

Specifically, some issues still exist with resume/suspend, setting volume using function keys, and a few other things.

Will update if I find the source.

1 Like

It’s fine if a few bits here and there aren’t working yet, but I’m having a very hard time finding how to install coreboot on real machines.

1 Like

If System76 does get it working on their current line, there wouldn’t be any chance of getting it to work on previous models without doing surgery, right? I’ve got an Oryx Pro and would love CoreBoot.

1 Like

What do you know! Turns out the email they send me on the 28th mentioned coreboot.

Firmware Updates

In firmware news, our engineer Jeremy has made a lot of progress in porting Coreboot to the Darter Pro and multiple versions of Galago Pro. It can now run both BIOS and UEFI implementations. However, certain bugs need to be worked out before we can officially release Coreboot on any of our laptops, such as a bug that causes the computer to open from suspend in airplane mode, or another that prevents the user from activating the webcam via keyboard functions. These and other bugs are being worked out in testing, and many of us across different departments are testing Coreboot on our own computers.

1 Like

I’m trying to find the source on this […] Will update if I find the source.

What do you know! Turns out the email they send me on the 28th mentioned coreboot.

I’ve found the source! It was a mailing list update they sent out on the 28th. :rofl:

Sorry, but CoreBoot must be built for specific motherboards. If someone hasn’t developed a configuration for your specific model, you’re pretty much SOL. Even if supported, flashing CoreBoot isn’t exactly a trivial operation for most machines.

Of course if you’re a developer, it’s all in a day’s work!

1 Like

I have a galp3

Our engineer Jeremy has made a lot of progress in porting Coreboot to the Darter Pro and multiple versions of Galago Pro.

If someone hasn’t developed a configuration for your specific model,

Jeremy did!

the new galago pro/darter pro will come with coreboot! still have to figure out how to flash mine tho

I too am interested in trying this out on my galp3 but haven’t yet spent the time to try to figure it out. I also don’t want to :brick: it :grimacing: