Core i9 and Core i7 for the X299 chipset Explained (aka Why Kaby Lake X?) | Level One Techs

Please go to and vote for Level1Techs! https://goo.gl/d2QbMi (see end of video for how to)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/core-i9-and-core-i7-x299-chipset-explained-aka-why-kaby-lake-x
3 Likes

The whole Kabylake-X chips make no sense to exist atall if you ask me.
The only interesting cpu on the list is the 7820X 8C 16T for $599,- msrp.
However they cut down the pci-e lanes to 28, which kinda stinks.

2 Likes

"Wallet Ripper"

Zing!

1 Like

Wendell: the board looks very interesting.
Me: The AsRock girl looks even more interesting. :open_mouth:

In fact @wendell why don't you make the AsRock girl a thumbnail of the video. You will get stupid amount of views. Guaranteed.

2 Likes

On a sidenote... I like how the "subscribe" Button under wendell's image on the voting site still links to teksyndicate ...

@wendell ? maybe you might take a look at that, if not fixed allready.

That will always be the"true" channel name though aliases like Level1techs can be added. Even the YouTube ui uses the channel link in some places. Not much I can do

1 Like

Yeah i saw that, that kinda sucks with YT honnestlly.
Would have been nice if they were a bit more helpfull with that.
However that would probablly end up being pretty complex with subscribers base and such.

The vote is by subscribing?

Eh, noone can tell me they aren't doing the name and subscriber association by ID, and not by channel/user name. Renaming the channel/user and url is trivial if they are doing it by an ID.

I didn't realise that user redirected/is the L1T channel though, I couldn't access it when I wrote that (youtube blocked at work).

I don't get it either, some are showing the twitter bird (retweet I guess?), some the youtube icon (like video I guess?)... but none of them have the heart icon like in the video... soooo... uh, idk :confused:

/edit
Nevermind, I figured it out. You're not supposed to click on the icons, you're supposed to click on the whole box, so you get a popup where you can then click the heart icon.
That's shitty design 101. Make 2 links atop of each other without a distinction in between. God why are 110% of asian companies so shitty at everything about design.

Yeah it does redirect, since you can set an alias.
However yeah, would have been nice if YT had more options for rebranding a channel.

Kabylake-X makes no sense. The i5 variant will cost less than the motherboard to run it. Linus made a point in his video that the vendors need to make a single motherboard that can support a $242 and a $2000 CPU with vastly different configurations like available PCIe lanes and memory channels.

Its stupid.

i9 isn't terrible, but I feel like the whole line up could be better.

AMD seems to have the perfect line up coming. They took what Intel had and made it all cheaper. That is why it was irritating for me to watch the Ryzen launch. Everyone was comparing a $350 AMD CPU with a $350 Intel CPU and getting mad when it didn't compare in games. That's because Ryzen IPC isn't quite as good, and that they aren't meant to compete. Now instead of spending $350 on a i7 CPU from Intel, you can buy a $250 CPU from AMD. Instead of buying a $1000 enthusiast CPU from Intel, you can buy a $500 CPU from AMD. Same will happen with Ryzen 3. Instead of a $250 CPU from Intel, you can get a $150 CPU from AMD. This means that whatever Intel has in the i3 range, AMD won't have anything because they have completely made those Intel CPUs irrelevant.

Hopefully what people realize is that AMD has the value proposition with Threadripper. Yes, Intel may have a $2000 18-core chip that AMD doesn't have, but AMD's chip will cost over $1000 less. So unless you REALLY need those 2 cores and think its worth spending an extra $1200, then you are best to go with AMD.

Hopefully some of that made sense.

But but but but.... 2 Cores! That's totally worth it!

I'm waiting for the day when it comes out that it's really 16 cores maybe and the remaining 2 are those "hidden" cores that can't really be used effectively :smiley:

I doubt it. Threadripper seems to just be two 1800x CPUs in one, so that is how you get 16 cores, 32 threads.

I was talking about the Intel chip :wink:

Shenanigans like this being pulled by Intel only gives more justification for why AMD's Threadripper should be bought by consumers instead

More likely (going by the 12V plug and VRM heat production woes), you'll have to disable 2 cores to ensure the system doesn't self-immolate. :stuck_out_tongue:

on those boards you probably have to disable 8 cores seeing what the 10core part pulls lol