Converting Proxmox LXC Container to standalone Server?

And again, i come to L1T to get some input on a work related subject.
I’ve not worked with Proxmox too much so far, and my container experience is more docker, rather than LXC. So, i’m a bit at a loss with a current task.

I have a Proxmox System, that will be ported to ESXi. This isn’t a big Problem for all the “regular” VM’s. Those can be converted. There are also two LXC Containers running on that system. I’m trying to figure out, how i can port those to the new system.

So far, i’m clear on that ESXi won’t run LXC Containers natively. So i’m pretty sure i need to set up a Linux VM in ESXi to hold the existing containers. How do i go about porting the container with all its data to a new machine? Is it a simple matter of copy and paste, or is there more to it?

Any hint in any direction would be highly appreciated!

I have on occasion moved containers to a new host. If your new vm host is running the same version of LXC, all you have to do is a straight copy of lxc’s directory (probably /var/lib/lxc if you are running privileged containers or maybe ~/.local/share/lxc if you are running unprivileged containers). If your new host’s lxc version is different, you can still straight copy the container’s rootfs and just modify each container’s config to support the new version.