Conversion of lspci ID to /etc/modprobe.d format?

My reference computer (the one I actually got passthrough working on) is an Epyc 7272/ROMED8-2T with a Radeon HD6670 passed through to a Win10 Guest. Debian 10.6 Host. (And it was easy and painless!)

On the reference machine, here’s what I have:

/etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"    
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Everything is commented out in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.

In /etc/modules, it doesn’t look like anything graphics card related:

vhost_net

# Generated by sensors-detect on Thu Dec 31 03:10:17 2020
# Chip drivers
nct6775

# Generated by sensors-detect on Thu Dec 31 03:11:17 2020
# Chip drivers
nct6775

In /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf:

options vfio-pci ids=1002:6758,1002:aa90

In /etc/modules-load.d/vfio-pci.conf:

vfio-pci

So I’m not sure what’s going on with the Ryzen machine. But I’m using the known-good Epyc machine to narrow-down what actually needs to be set to eliminate variables.

On my Epyc test machine, when Spice is running in virt-manager, the passed-through card and Spice act like a dual monitor system. I can drag windows between them. I had to make the passthrough primary in wodows though, and now Spice acts like a second monitor. Before that, the passthrough was the secondary monitor with the wallpaper but not the start menu.

On this Ryzen machine, the passed card screen is always black and the monitor goes to sleep reading no input. (So it’s not outputting black video, it’s outputting nothing).

Does anyone know if detecting Spice is part of Nvidia’s VM detection algorithm?

On the Epyc machine (AMD chip), it seems to be working without any options in /etc/default/grub/. I reran update-initramfs and update-grub and rebooted to be sure, and the passthrough card still works.

grep -rn '/etc/grub.d/' -e 'iommu' produces no output, so it doesn’t seem to be set in any of the grub config files. But dmesg | grep iommu shows output, so it’s still loading somehow.

I had to make two changes to get the XML to validate; there were no closing single quotes on two of the lines and no self-closing tag slashes on those lines. (The quote above is edited to reflect those changes.) But after that, trying to start the machine, I get:

error: Failed to start domain win10
error: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2021-01-09T07:26:44.769105Z qemu-system-x86_64: Property '.hy' not found

If I remove the ,-hy, I get:

error: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: audio: warning: Using timer based audio emulation

If I remove the last line, <qemu:env name='QEMU_AUDIO_DRV' value='pa'/>, I get:

error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2021-01-09T07:30:37.880715Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device ioh3420,bus=pci.0,addr=1b.0,multifunction=on,p: Bus 'pci.0' not found

If I remove <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pci.0,addr=1b.0,multifunction=on,p'>, I get:

error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2021-01-09T07:31:58.349417Z qemu-system-x86_64: host,hv_time,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=whatever: Could not open 'host,hv_time,kvm=off,hv_vendor_id=whatever': No such file or directory

Every time I removed a line, I got a different error, but once all of the <qemu:commandline> stuff was removed, the machine did start. Still no output on the PCIe card though.

The top line of my XML file reads:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

…because I think you need to include the qemu xml namespace to make the qemu: elements work.

I did eventually get it to work. I think deleting all of the “spice” stuff and all of the virtual console, graphics, etc from the VM before installing windows is the key. When I deleted all the other options for graphics, and all the virtual devices, it forced windows installer to use the passthrough card, and partway through the install the resolution went up so it seems that the driver did work. Also, I used passthrough on the CPU, and Q35 with UEFI, and set the three options in the xml file (see above) before doing the windows install.

2 Likes

Nice!
When I had spice and stuff still on the VMM created VMs, my machines would boot, and give a picture on the passed through GPU’s output, but nVidia would not install the drivers (code43 error) and I kinda wanted the GPU for games and stuff, so spice etc were no use to me anyway.
It’s good for non-gaming vm’s, so not knocking it.

I ended up first having to deal with the CODE 43 problems when I got my 1660 super. Because of a weird glitch / driver issue to do with an AMD card. I just wanted to rotate my second monitor and have it in portrait mode not landscape. Monitor options didn’t exist the in amd control center, and the orientation section was grayed out. (Trust me, days upon days of trying to get it to work) - Learned it was a driver issue to do with passthrough gpu’s.

Nvidia GPU, got lucky. Got rid of the code 43 problem in about an hour. Monitor rotation wasn’t grayed out and used it that way for months.

@lightnb I am extremely happy it ended up working out for you. Vm’s are super cool

1 Like