Constant Driver Timeouts on 7800 XT in World of Warcraft

There’s a lot of hearsay and a lot of roundabout fixes people suggest that may or may not work. It is true, in my experience, that the issue is exacerbated if you turn the graphics all the way up.

Oh, I have to add to this, that now despite having hardware acceleration enabled on Discord, it doesn’t crash along with WoW. It will die if I try to restore it from the system tray, but I stay connected to the call and can be heard normally by my friends. Probably has something to do with installing only the GPU Driver?

Curiously, I tried to turn off HAGS but after crashing multiple times…

But after rebooting…

This is mind-boggling.

Interesting. It does suggest we’re on the right track though.

Try now with resize bar disabled and see if that makes any difference whatsoever.

Or you can leave resize bar on, but disable the xmp/expo profile so your ram is running at totally stock speeds.

Will have to get back to you later in the day cause it’s working hours in Greece. I’ve got options to disable High Bandwidth Support and XMP separately.

Gear down mode on the ram. Find that option and disable it too.

Test11.zip (32.9 KB)

This is by disabling EXPO only.

Will try disabling gear down mode now.

Test12.zip (23.5 KB)

Nope. Still crashed. Had two more crashes right after I stopped recording, so there’s event viewer logs from those two included too. Either I’m terribly unlucky or it’s been made worse now.

Where do you reproduce thsi crashes? i would like to try too.

Eh, pretty much anywhere. I’ve had crashes in Silvermoon, I’ve had crashes in the loading screen, I’ve had crashes in Valdrakken. It’s most prominent in M+ Dawn of the Infinite - Galakrond’s Fall and Tiragarde Sound in Kul Tiras.

Also there’s this gem of a guy who was adamant that their rig had absolutely no issue and then went into WoW and crashed anyway.

I can play any games for hours, but when when i start a mythic dungeon i have a crash 2 or 3 times, screen goes black then the game is just running on.

Interesting. Now try with expo on but gear down mode off?
Is it still still “more stable” with gear down off or this is affecting the stability vs earlier?

Test13.zip (36.9 KB)

Gear down off, EXPO on.

Don’t think it’s getting any better. Had three crashes in a row, managed to record just the 3rd one.

if you roll back these changes to the “more stable” configuration is it still “more stable”

if not any idea what changed when it went from less stable > more stable > less stable?

Pretty sure the most stable it’s been was when we just fixed the Bus Clock to 100Mhz, which also disabled the wobble with it. Dawn of the Infinite was a guaranteed crash before, and I managed to complete a full run of that dungeon without any issues. Of course, excited that maybe we finally figured out the god damn issue, I went into a different dungeon and then I crashed.

However, even after disabling EXPO and Gear down, I had 3-4 crashes in a certain different dungeon from the ones mentioned before (Waycrest Manor), where I couldn’t even take a step without crashing in the past.

Honestly, I can’t quite ever be sure if one thing was more stable than the other. It might have been a lucky streak. I’ve had that happen before, thinking it magically got fixed, only to keep crashing every 5 steps again.

HAGS in W11 seems to play an important role to these issues. Maybe Discord, which I’ve kept running in the background, either in call or not, contributes to the issue.

Maybe it really is just a Blizzard issue at this point. I’ve played PUBG and Witcher 3 with settings all maxed out without crashing.

Enabled Gear Down mode again, got two freezes again, but it seems like it’s recovering much faster now.

Interesting. Let’s try to rule out something wow specific. You’re in dx12 mode right? Can you try dx11?

Blizzard Support - Changing World of Warcraft DirectX Settings.

Yeah for the most part, I’ve been playing with DX11 when stability is most important. In DX12 I’d probably get 50 crashes in a day, DX11 I might get one or two. I still do get them from time to time, but they’re just not as bad. Want me to try and induce a crash?

Yeah, what were the less/more crashes happening as dx11 or 12