Console Wars 2020 - Road to 8k 30fps for everyone! =D

Yeah I’m aware of the on paper spec.

However I do not think it will be enough to be a game changer.

More GPU clock will be worth more than more CUs I suspect, look at how GPU performance tends to scale with previous variants of Radeon hardware. Vega 56/64 at same clock are essentially identical in games. Sure this is custom Navi (which is a whole other variable - the GPUs may not be the same architecture as each other) - but I would wager the trend holds true at least to some extent.

AMD cards run out of memory bandwidth before anything else, and what’s to say Sony aren’t doing some secret sauce compression in their GPU like they are with the SSD?

And even if there is say, a 15% difference in performance - that isn’t enough to be a differentiating factor in my view - hence “close enough to be identical” for the purposes of what types of games and what level of graphical fidelity we will see.

And hyperthreading/SMT?

Not worth shit for a console IMHO. Consoles, you want deterministic behaviour in terms of CPU. Hyperthreading won’t give you that. The 8 extra threads simply aren’t = double the processing power.

All that said, as above, as @psycho_666 said, it will come down to the software. And I think Sony will be more innovative in that respect - the xbox stuff will just be identical to games they will no doubt try to leverage onto Windows via the Windows Dumpster Fire Store (I mean, they are actively trying to push this angle via the XBOX App), and thus will need to run on a base level of PC hardware.

1 Like

The best thing about the new consoles is that we Big Navi alongside it.
Plus, for the first time it seems that consoles can actually keep up with most consumer computer hardware spec wise.

I’m happy for both sides but besides my computers I’ll stick with the Nintendo Switch only since I don’t find much excitement in most games Sony especially has to offer these years.

Uhm, when PS3 hit it was insane compute performance.

1 Like

Yes but that was in a cluster and Sony blocked OtherOS for consumers after 27c3 in 2010.

I admit, the performance that cluster delivered was impressive, however, in case of actual video game consoles I refer mostly to how well these can keep up with current PCs (midrange to lower highend).

Hate consoles. will never ever have one.

One thing I got from the current news.

Sony made an amiga with dedicated IO for textures and SOUND chips

Microsofls marketing has been nothing but a cancel.

Im Linux master race, Eat each other,

me too, also I wanted to play ds3 without having to worry about pc specs, worked out great

INB4 elden ring will come in 2021 and Bloodborne 2 in 2022!

1 Like

… duck simulator?

lul

Dark Souls III – At least I think given the context

WTF apparently not :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

yes, this is the mobile version:

but it’s kinda like that, you get to fish and shit on people like a pidgeon

2 Likes

come on chris

you don’t need explicit /s all the time!

lol at @noenken

1 Like

PC old man master race,

Need to apologize …Im and old idiot and never mean harm.

1 Like

Oh no, in this forum as of late you absolutely do…

Na im harmless and peaceful :slight_smile:

that is absolutely not what I mean :smiley:

1 Like

Well im old and it take time for shitty things to process, When its Friday and im drunk wisdoming.

Just saying I mean zero harm … Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable L1ers." [cheers abound.] “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

I remember at least the PS4 and I believe the PS3 as well being on par or better than equivalently priced PCs at release.

Back when the PS4 was released (late 2013) it was $400, which at the time would have given you the cheapest Intel Celeron, an HD 7850, and the utmost barebones motherboard/case/PSU.

That’s not including the OS or mouse/keyboard/controller, which could easily be another $100 or more.

2 Likes

The Dreamcast, game cube and n64 were all amazingly powerful vs PC when they were new. Even the ps1, Saturn and ps2 were.

Problem is that consoles stay the same over their life cycle. But that’s also a win because games can be tuned for the specific hardware.

1 Like

My hope in that regard is that the PS5 and XBOX Series X indeed stay powerful enough for quite a while as 16GB RAM seems like something that more plenty for most use cases.

Wasnt this Bilbo’s speech in the Fellowship right before he vanished?

2 Likes

Watched the second game presentation for X-Box sX. (Link added to first post.)
I gotta be honest, it looks weak.

1 Like