Console Hardware updates (PS4.5/4K and XBone.5)

The only thing I have heard about this is that the PS4 was getting a new revision that has HDMI 2.0 for 4K 60hz. Not even necessarily for games, there may or may not be a slight GPU upgrade while they are at it which would make sense but looks to be for video and their VR stuff.

Sony have said the VR has to run 90hz for it to be passable. So this might just be for that and nothing else.

The crazy thing is the console fans are coming out in support of it. Finally being able to get upgraded hardware like the PC and such. They don't seem to understand the difference.

1 Like

Console peasants..... :P

I don't really care they're updating the hardware in consoles... most people who own consoles are too ill informed to convert to the best gaming platform. I converted early last year and haven't looked back since.

This... This irks me a bit. "Oh now we can play at 4k like the pc fools... and all we have to do is shell out another 400-500 on a brand new console to do it! :D" facepalms Too many people don't ever look at the real costs... of anything... ever... but that's getting off on a tangent.

2 Likes

Pretty sure that 4.5 is going to have 14nm APU, but I really doubt that it will have HBM or Zen. It is supposed to be basically an upgraded version of the same hardware. Different architecture or different memory would likely cause issues with the development of games as they are very hardware specific on the console side. Also, if Zen was ready for 4.5, then it would be ready at the same time for the desktop and server side of things. I am pretty sure that they put Zen on hold so that they could get the 4.5 APUs produced. That is all just speculation though.

1 Like

Maybe they are gearing up for making HD ready, 4K ready and VR ready a market standard, neat little chart at the bottom matching up the game and system. Hopefully it won't damage PC component prices.

1 Like