Considering switching to rolling release disto

weird in-house kernel

those were the days

No.

Everything else, yes.

I’ll be the only one to say it, but I miss YMLF. You could install rpm’s on ubuntu.

Yeah - I see your point. They’re all becoming exactly alike.

It’s the ‘Martin Heidegger’ “leveling” of Linux, where by making them all alike; all versions suck equally for all users; no matter their purpose.

Soon enough Linux will suck equally for the sysadmin as the gamer.

We can call the flattened Linux “Windex” - the everymans linux.

Well since snaps and flatpacks are in heavy development,
it will be pretty easy to get the newest software packages for any distro pretty much.

You said Linux and BSD are different worlds. Would you be able to elaborate? Like a use case example for BSD rather than nix or the other way around?

I think that BSD and Linux are slightlly different in the core.

Basically, I’m looking for a unix-like operating system that doesn’t break between upgrades. I’ve considered rolling release, but am wondering if possibly a BSD might be a better solution.

So, let me posit a more specific question - what’s would be the advantage of using PC-BSD to Fedora Linux and FreeBSD to RHEL and the reverse.

Is it ZFS? - Nah can’t be that simple.

_

Ah okay, now i see what you mean.

Well from my experiance on rolling release distributions of Linux,
And by that i mean Arch based distro´s like Manjaro and Antergos,
i didnt really had the best of luck with those 2 specific distributions i have to say.
But i think thats the risk of running rolling release,
chances are there that it breaks once in a while within an update cycle.
I also tried Open Suse rolling release and that didnt breake on me atall.
But maybe i didnt test that one long enough.

About BSD Unix based OS’s i trully cannot really say too much about those.
Because i have not really tried them out yet.

I don’t think they have gotten equally shitty.

The only real distro that has gotten progressively worse is ubuntu because they consistently spend developer time on reinventing the wheel with things like Mir rather than polishing what they currently have.

But I mean debian hasn’t changed in…forever? Fedora went from Yum to DNF and thats about it. Opensuse went from point release to their special leap release, but tumbleweed stayed the same. Gentoo is still gentoo.

The only real big changes that I would say has really affected linux in a potentially negative way has been systemd and wayland.

But even wayland isn’t even bad, its just REALLY freaking rushed. I mean xorg still outperforms wayland in most if not all use cases, and wayland is still missing a ton of features.

Despite all of that, I would still say linux has gotten INFINITELY better mostly because linus did a fantastic job of organizing the linux kernel dev community into a situation where they could pump out frequent and relatively stable kernel updates.

That IMO is what has been allowing distros to ease off their in house kernel development and has definitely leveled the distros in that sense.

To answer your question about what distro to look at from my point of view, I really think you need to take a look at opensuse leap and tumbleweed.

You seem to want a stable base with up to date packages which is what opensuse leap is all about.

1 Like

Well yeah, Ubuntu might have been gotten a bit worse from what they were before.
The 16.04 LTS release came with allot of annoying bugs thats true.
However allot of the minor bugs got adressed.
But still we can only hope for that the 18.04 release would be a lot more stable from the get go.

Also yes that is definitelly a great choice there.

I was thinking rolling release in the sense I never had to upgrade. I could be wrong. I’ve never used one.

But it took 4 hours on a pretty good machine to update my Fedora. That’s crazy!

I’m thinking a rolling release would divide that 4 hours over the course of a year. so maybe a 30 second update a week or something. I don’t know.

I like Fedora. Don’t get me wrong, but there has to be a better option for a sysadmin who is slammed. I don’t have 4 hours in a day to upgrade my Fedora (which I have to because of their release cycle) and then deal with debugging my VMware. By the way I did it after hours on a Friday night - never again.

Seriously I run minimal applications. Pinta, gedit, Firefox, Perl, Ruby, Terminator, and then bash builtins like awk and sed, etc. I use GNOME as my interface. Needless to say nothing sexy is going on over here.

So I’m thinking screw 4 hour upgrades once a year, get a rolling release, and that’ll never happen again. However, there’s a risk of a bad release - okay… are they’re any other options. Oh BSD! Do any of them not suck?

If I brush up on make and building from source, can I upgrade my BSD in 2 hours without busting my VMs?

These are the questions that plague me and am looking for solutions.

Its not even stability that is the issue. They were the ones who were trying to make a production level distro for the average user. They essentially wanted to be on the shelf next to apple and microsoft.

And for a while they were doing just that. Then they went off and did things like adding amazon services, or mir, or convergence, or the bugs in 15.04 or the bugs in 16.04.

If they could just stop what ever it is they are doing over there for 5 seconds. Make a proper package management system that could compete with DNF or Zypper, they would actually be doing a lot better.

And please understand that my frustration with ubuntu comes out of love and respect for ubuntu. They used to be pretty darn good, and definitely allowed me to dip my toes in the linux pool.

But its like watching a kid trying to do something incorrectly. You want to help, but they say they want to do it their way. So you just have to sit back and watch them struggle.

1 Like

Question…Do you need nvidia drivers.

Well i guess that Open Suse would probablly be a pretty decent alternative there.
It even supports live kernel patching if i’m correct @Tjj226_Angel?

Does it support live patching? DOES IT SUPPORT LIVE PATCHING!!?!?!?!

It supports live patching so hard that it has a music video for live patching.

1 Like

I have no idea

I have tried to install opensuse 3 times on different machines and it boots into the desktop and that’s it… finito

Not a fan of it.

And how would I know if I need nvidiea drivers.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card that you would need to install Nvidia proprietary drivers for.