Considering switching to rolling release disto

Question…Do you need nvidia drivers.

Well i guess that Open Suse would probablly be a pretty decent alternative there.
It even supports live kernel patching if i’m correct @Tjj226_Angel?

Does it support live patching? DOES IT SUPPORT LIVE PATCHING!!?!?!?!

It supports live patching so hard that it has a music video for live patching.

1 Like

I have no idea

I have tried to install opensuse 3 times on different machines and it boots into the desktop and that’s it… finito

Not a fan of it.

And how would I know if I need nvidiea drivers.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card that you would need to install Nvidia proprietary drivers for.

That’s the box.

Ah, that is because you have to use a special program to burn the ISO.

There was a reason they had things setup that way, but they decided to join the band wagon and now rufus magically works.

I remember reading about it in the mailing list, but I forgot the details beyond what I told you.

Well yeah i think that you have some vallid points definitelly.

But i also think that Cannonical at that point failled.
And that is definitelly not that strange, because their Unity desktop was just way too restrictive too much apple and windows like indeed.
In the end they gave up on it regardless.

Also a good point about the Amazon searches telemetry build in.
Which was a pretty bad move of course,
allthough i think that their initial idea behind that was to some create some kind of a Cortana like search feuture.
But they got allot of backlash about that, and the community spins of Ubuntu like Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Mate doesnt have that feuture build in at all.

About their package management system, i dont think that APT is that bad.
However its of course just what a person is used to and like.
DNF and Zypper are indeed pretty nice and powerfull.
But i personally really dont like pacman on Arch.

Yeah. Opensuse tumbleweed then. Youre welcome.

I also really like that box. If it weren’t HP, I would be buying what ever the current version is.

Great, but why tumbleweed over pc-BSD.

There has to be a reason an OS with an inferior grep command still survives.

Why would someone use it?

Its not that apt is “bad”, but the way ubuntu has apt setup is kind of bad, and lets face it, apt needs an update.

I can’t say what I do for a living. Or maybe I can and I just don’t know it lol. But I basically provide tech support to system admins.

Ubuntu’s take on apt has it setup in such a way that when you go to install a package it tries to install everything but the kitchen sink. And when you start installing different PPAs on top of the base system you run into all sorts of incompatible software and everything ends up breaking.

I can not tell you how many calls I get from people (pretty freaking high level people too) who installed ubuntu and are complaining about this problem.

Now the ubuntu guys would have you believe that you can avoid all this by using certain flags when you install packages. Basically you can install packages without the “recommended” level dependencies. It still doesn’t address the fact that most 3rd party PPAs are a mess, and that ubuntu still likes to add in dependencies it doesn’t need which causes other issues down the line.

That is basiclly something that is hard to answer,
because why somebody would use a certain OS is very personal.
People could basiclly only recommend a distribution based on use case experiances.

But from what i understand, you dont like to spend hours on updating you machine like you have experianced on Fedora.
Well yeah Fedora comes out with a major release very 6 months or so.
And if you want to stay up to date on the versions then upgrading will take some time.

However i´m not sure if a rolling release distribution would exally be the most ideal solution.
Of course rolling release will give you updates more frequentlly,
and there for update proces will be faster.
You basiclly shouldnt have to upgrade it atall.
However with the risk of potentially breaking something that could cause significant time of troubleshooting and fixing.
Is definitelly something that you should keep in mind.
If that system is your main work system that have to rely on.
Than i´m not too sure if a something rolling would be a great choice.

BSD unfortunatlly i have not used that often enough to say anything usefull about it.

BSD philosophy for updates is that no code is merged if it breaks anything in the core system. Now for packages and such not built in to core may not always be the case. But there philosophy is not to break anything with an update.
Linux distro I believe strive for this at some level but for sake of pushing the distro it happens and they fix what got broken.
I would say in your quest of finding what fits you best while maintaining not pulling all your hair out you may want to set aside a system that has a working system you need for work in the event of failure on your main system.

Now that’s what I’m talking about!

And for the backup box - I do… it’s a Mac.

Okay okay okay. On lasting idea then I’ll stop bothering L1T with this.

Let’s hypothetically say I run a headless proxmox box. It has a Winderz 7 install, a git server and a FreeBSD box. On the FreeBSD box install X, Gnome, and an RDP client.

At this point I’ll have a physical Linux box, who cares the distro it’s a burner) and I can ssh into the FreeBSD box which is my baby.

I would never save anything totnhe burner box. I’d wipe it and reinstall when it needed to be updated.

My question is - from the burner box can I ssh into the FreeBSD box start X and GNOME and have a full desktop? I’d just admin the Winderz box off the BSD box assuming I can get an x session and GNOME interface via ssh from my burner box.

Can you do that? Install X on a box and GNOME ssh into it and start a full GUI?

By pc-BSD do you mean “true-OS”? (the name recently changed)

I can’t comment on grep specifically because I haven’t used any BSD system where I have extensively needed to use grep commands. Sooooooo meh?

BSD isn’t quite established for me to use.

I know its taboo in the linux world, but I am a pretty heavy chrome user. And no, chromium won’t cut it. I can’t even install chrome on BSD.

Linux is usually more up to date, it tends to get major security patches faster than BSD in my experience. Linux actually does get similar testing for stability just like BSD, and Opensuse will test their distros packages against a new kernel to insure its stability before release.

So tumbleweed is a nice stable rolling release that has all the software I could possibly EVER want and more.

Plus it has Yast, oneclick install, Open build service, wicked network manager. I mean the list just goes on and on.

BSD is too much of a 2nd rate citizen to get the software and package support I need. I hope that changes one day, but I don’t see it happening without a major advent like flat packs on BSD.

Uhhhh if you allow me to rephrase your question, I think the root of what you are trying to ask is if you can run a GUI over SSH.

I don’t know if you can run the entirety of gnome over SSH, but I know you can run graphics programs over SSH using X11 forwarding.

That is probably going to be one of those questions you have to google.

@cotton It can be done, but don’t do that, that is now what it was designed for. It is really slow as phuck.

Run your individual applications as needed. you can pause them and open again but this methodology is a bandwidth hog since no one uses the X primitives anymore.

In regards to BSD, you would run BSD for the superior network stack and marginally better network tools. That is mostly it. If you have older hardware, you may get a little bit more up time because less frequent updates. I know of no BSD based rolling release.

I definitely recommend you try the BSDs. I personally like DragonflyBSD out of all of them. It is basically the BSD equivalent of VOID Linux.

I honestly do not thing that a BSD is the answer. It sounds like you just need a better rolling release system. It also sounds like you are married to VMWARE. As such you need to subscribe to their mailing list. They push patches upstream to the mainline kernel but somethings that they implement are kernel dependent. If you do not upgrade/refresh your system regularly, you cannot avoid the situation that you describe not matter what operating system you move to.

1 Like