Consider to replace my Node202's internals with a B550 miniITX and Zen2 APU. How's the Linux compatibility right now?

Hi there,

I have a neat little Node202 setup with a Gigabyte Kaby Lake mobo, a G4560 and 1050Ti hooked up to my TV right now as my secondary rig actually and I really enjoy having it.

With the new graphics cards around the corner and gpu-passthrough working quite nicely on Ryzen systems, I wondered however if it wouldn’t make more sense to me to upgrade to a Zen2 APU - preferably a 4750G - and put either my old 1070FTW or a new GeForce or potentially Big Navi in it.

Reason for that is that I could use the APU on LAN parties for two players as well as simply running things such as KODI from the internal graphics without to heat up the graphics card.

And for me personally, I’d love to get rid of a couple of PCs I kept for as long as I didn’t figure how gpu-passthrough works as I like to share my machines on LAN parties with friends.

I know this sounds silly and you guys may skip this thread but how well do the 4650G and 4750G work on Linux already, preferably on Kubuntu or openSuSE Tumbleweed.

Kind regards

Processors work fine. Neither Big Navi nor the new RTX 3000 series have been released yet, so there’s zero support. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

lul, I really mean the APUs :sweat_smile:

People in VFIO orientated Discords couldn’t provide help as no one has a Zen2 APU and I find those things highly interesting myself.

Does that go for the graphics portion as well?

I’m using a 2400G on Linux. If later APUs don’t work, that would be the biggest news from AMD since Ryzen’s release. So I’d count on that working just fine.

Does that go for the graphics portion as well?

I don’t know. I only have HDMI outputs on my board, and I don’t feel like slumming it. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t pass through the APU’s GPU. You might be able to use it as the main display and pass through your discreet card.

But that comes down to very specific things about your board’s implimentation and your choice of video card.

Last I knew, amdgpu and nvidia in the same system was still terrible, but it’s been a while since I’ve tried. Someone with more recent experience might chime in.

1 Like

That the 2400G works fine is good news to me, what I could do of course is pick up the APU and try it with a live system, the classic Linux way :eyes:

Passing through the APU part however is the opposite of what I want to do actually, I’d love to passthrough the discrete graphics card I put onto the board :eyes:

From the looks of it, the ASRock B550M Mini-ITX seem to be nice.

My 3400G works fine, I don’t really know about anything beyond that though. I’ve heard very little about the 4000 series APUs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.