Connecting Asus RT-AC66U Router to Combo Modem/Router

Hello all, i am trying to connect my asus router my main modem/router combo, its both in 1. Now the problem is the asus routers ip is 192.168.1.1 same as my main router. what i want to do is have my asus router set up to ip 192.168.2.1 and have it connect to my main router without any problems, you know like have it communicate. because the asus router is flashed to advancedtomato and I’m going to use it with my vpn service, but first i want to have it connect to my router so that i can have internet assess on my asus router, that’s my main goal, any help would be appreciated

Best way is to put modem combo in bridge mode if you can and have Asus do as all your routing. Send model of modem and I’ll help with what I can.
Edit*

model of what? my main router or my asus? because if its the model of the asus its written here and if its the model of my combo modem is one by my service provider which is a FIOS G1100

Just use a different ip range for you router. Like 10.10.0.xx

I rather use the one I mentioned. Now where would I go and change that and what other steps do I need to do so my second router can be working ?

So you flashed your Asus with a 3rd party firmware AND your going to configure the Asus to run a VPN client but don’t know how to change the default ip address? Forgive me for saying so but I have a hard time believing that.

Turn off your all in one, go into the admin console of the Asus and change the default network ip to what you want. Plug in the all in one, jack the Asus wan into a lan on the all in one and rock on…

1 Like

If you just set a different IP range you’ll just end up with a double nat on the Asus. Best to log into the modem and set an ip passthrough interface so it gets a public IP address.

Have a hard time believing what? So I’m just going to come and ask for help because I’m lying? Yea good one, and what you mentioned didn’t help but thanks

And how would I do that? Like where do I go to set that? What settings in the router ?

So your modem combo apparently is sort of a pain to put into bridge mode.
Not ideal way to run but set the LAN IP address of asus to 192.168.2.1 and hook one LAN port from it to one lan port on Modem. You should be good.

I wonder if the combo modem has a DMZ mode on it. Port forwarding is going to be a bitch otherwise.

Edit: it does not

That does seem pretty suspect tbh but given the amount of tutorials made for braindead hamsters out there I wouldnt put it past someone to make it this far while having 0 networking knowledge.

@iDon https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

RTFM?

I would set one to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.254 (probably the ASUS to .254) because this way when you use the default subnet of 255.255.255.0, both devices will be on the same subnet and should be accessible. Then all you have to do is work around the double NAT issue. unless of course you dont care about forwarding any ports in which case you should be fine as is.

Thinking out loud:
I wonder if the vpn ability of the ASUS would still work in AP mode.

1 Like

Not needed. I had a similar configuration in my network until recently

I did that, I changed the LAN ip to 192.168.2.1 and also to 192.168.1.254, connected to lan port and nstill no internet connectivity

Did you set default gateway and all of those things

to 192.168.1.1 and static dns to googles

Not sure where but may have to put Asus into router mode and not gateway. Been a while since I did this hackery.

don’t know where either

What firmware you using again?

They have a contact link on the site ask them and see if they will help. Not familiar with this firmware at all.

advancedtomato