Confusion about Ryzen Memory Ranks/Clocks

If they just came in white...

1 Like

It's become such a search to find both QVL listed and color scheme memory at the best discount, so I had to settle for Black with White Trim, as adding 16GB modules to the filter narrows the choices even further.
I chose 16GB so as to get the highest speeds in Dual Channel.
At the end of the day, 32GB of 2667 OC RAM for $202 is the best I could do.

Memory ranks is one of those things that is explained horribly in all the docs and info I've seen.

Let me set y'all straight.

All rank is - is a way to put more memory on a single channel. If you have 2 single rank sticks in a dual channel motherboard (and populated for dual channel), you have single rank. If you were to add another 2 single rank sticks (total 4 sticks), you'd be dual rank, and still dual channel.

But but but.... they said dual rank is faster than single rank. Yes and no. The increased speed comes from the 2nd rank being ready to write memory while the first rank is busy. That is a small gain... about 10% ideally.

So, what type of rank do you want? All the same, and as low as possible (if you have any possibility of upgrading after the fact). The only time dual rank might be preferable over single rank is when an upgrade is out of the question (like if you only have 2 RAM slots, both filled, or the system memory won't be upgraded ever)

However, you might be forced to use more rank to get the density of memory you want. If you are building a system with 1024GB RAM, you'll probably have to get at least dual rank memory, if not quad ranked, in order to get that much memory in the system. Also, you'll notice that the lower rank, the more expensive the memory is.

tl;dr
You want the lowest rank you can use
Only 1 rank (per channel) of RAM can be accessed at a time
Running dual rank gives a very slight performance boost (but not worth it)
Anything more than dual rank is slower.
More than 1 stick of RAM per channel increases up the number of ranks you are using.
Check your system board, BIOS revision notes, and QVL regarding supported memory.