Confused - SAS controller + Sata enclosure

I’m not sure why this setup isn’t working:

IcyDock MB508SP-B
8 Samsung 2TB Evo 840 Sata 2.5 SSDs
SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cables
RocketRaid 2840C controller

None of the drives show in the rocket raid bios. Drives work when plugged into basic sata.

What part of this BOM is incompatible?

Thanks in advance!

likely the problem

you might have to unlock sata mode, if it’ll even unlock

1 Like

Hmm according to their documents (highpoint-tech dot com) SATA is supported on the 2800 series cards, they even include samsung SATA ssds in their compatibility list.

Where can I find more info regarding ‘unlocking sata mode’?

Samsung 840’s are not on the support list - which maybe the issue

have you tried any other discs with the rocketraid?

are you on the latest bios for the card?

have you tried setting it to default settings?

do the ssd’s have existing partitions etc on them - might be worth trying a “raw” drive with no partitions

You did also check the operating system could not see the drives ? In case the card is stick in a different mode?

I’m thinking that one should not have to choose between SATA/SAS, but if the card is stuck on passthrough/IT mode, that might be it?

Also simple check the drives work direct on motherboard, and if any other drives work in the backplane

They def work on the mobo’s sata, I’m just gonna return this rocket raid, get a jbod sata card instead, thanks for the help everyone.

Amazon.com: Syba 8 Port SATA III Non-RAID PCI-e x4 Expansion Card Supports FreeNAS and ZFS RAID - Includes Mini SAS to SATA Breack Out Cables (SI-PEX40137): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: CableCreation Internal Mini SAS HD Cable, 1.6FT Mini SAS SFF-8643 to Mini SAS 36Pin SFF-8087 Cable, Mini SAS 36Pin to SFF-8643 Cable, 0.5M: Computers & Accessories

Huh, what a coincidence, it’s not every day I get a card, But I go the older SAS cards for about £30 each:

The ones I go for are based around the LSI sas2008 chipset, which is a bit slow for SSD’s.
Well, they work good enough for me, but probably bottleneck the throughput.
Especially when I use the x8v2 card in an x1v3 socket…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.