Configuring a ZFS Samba Fileserver to auto-sleep and wake when client performs any action

Hey everyone :smile:

I’ve just set up a shiny new fileserver with ZFS+Samba on CentOS. However, its not very often I access this data, only for about 2-3 hours daily.

I’d like to know if there’s a way to allow the server to sleep/suspend when idle, and wake again whenever a windows SMB client performs an action or accesses the share?

I was able to do this with FreeNAS.

Currently, when I manually suspend the server from the CentOS GUI, the server doesn’t wake with any client file share activity. Only when I press on the keyboard or move the mouse on the server.

Is this something to do with “Wake On LAN”?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

I’d also like to note that I’m not interested in any sort of HDD spindown.

My main issue is with the noise that comes from 11 fans. Currently, I have no choice but to put the server next to my workstation. Which is also in the bedroom.

The fans all turn off during suspend, but as I mentioned earlier, I need a way to wake from LAN activity. Or is this not possible?

I’d say putting a server-type device in the bedroom is a bad idea, but I guess I should be more constructive. Have you considered moving to a less noisy case/ case with less noisy fans?

Wake On LAN might be able to help, but remember that servers can take some time to boot. You wouldn’t get immediate availability.