Confessions of a former Dominos delivery driver

Here you will find out all the nitty gritty work and common stressful situations you will endure on the job.

First off the job was okay, paid minimum wage and I got tips. In Mississippi if I got tips at a local Applebee's I would only get $2.13 USD an hour. So it was a good little chunk of change at the end of the night.

Now on to the work I had to put in.

First off your get paid as a trained employee, the uniform is a 25 dollar write off, and you get it back at the end of the year. Training was straight forward and easy. One of those things that gets better as you get better.

Working in the store past training is a very tedious and emotions run high during a rush. These rules may vary depending upon franchise owners but here was my duties. I preped the store, stocked the make line and had the place ready for the night shift. I would work nights sometime and the day time driver would do these things as well. The franchise owners and day management would sit on their rumps all day, only taking orders, and making the food. Driver did everything else.

Now on to the actual driving part. You sell your cars soul, everything including services comes out of your pocket. Your roof paint gets marred due to the sign you must have on top of it. Signs required to be lit up as well via a direct connection with the battery or 12v connection in the ash tray. Drivers only carry 20 dollars in cash on runs. You must sign a waiver stating that you will drive in bad weather conditions during the shift as well. The 20 dollars cash can be money from the till or your money. Dominos only allows delivery to the city limits. Not the county.

Dealing with customers is one thing entirely. Some are nice, some are rude and would make you never want to talk to another soul again. I was never robbed, but others have been. You are not allowed to take a weapon with you like a knife.

Some random things that take the cake with driving.

No numbers or poarch lights on the house. Would it be so hard as to add numbers to the mailbox or house? Don't blame me because I could not find you.

Making change for a 100 dollar bill. No I cannot run to the bank and change this out, no I cannot take it either. I only carry 20 dollars on me.

No I don't have a pizza oven in my car stop asking.

I wont give you a discount cause you had to meet me at the city and county line, cause you live outside the delivery aera.

No I cannot give you free food.

No sir or mam, I don't get the full price for delivery.

If the order is 30 minutes late then it is free. No it is not, that is no longer a guarantee. People were having wrecks due to that silly promotion.

Don't automatically assume that I damaged your car when you have the entire dead end street blocked. I just hoofed it half a mile on foot to bring you this food.

Now on to the night shift. We were always understaffed, dont ask for a mile long list of specials when you just heard them on the recording. We are happy for a 20 pizza order, but don't expect it within 15 minutes. There was no official break meaning you are on your feet from the time you clock in and the time the manager clocks you out. So whatever you threw into the oven is now cold cause you had to go on delivery. It was like the callers knew that you wanted to eat, they would call right when you would make something.

What closing the store is like. One driver remains in the store, at least it did at my location under the old owner. The driver did it all, cleans up the store from top to bottom, make lines, bathrooms, dishes, sweeping, mopping, storing food, (etc). All takes about 3 hours, on weekends you was out of there by 3AM.

Closing thoughts. If you dont mind an assault on your sanity, dealing with car problems, shitty people, and coming home hating pizza, then you can work there.

If that bothers you then work elsewhere.

It is a temporary job for fast experience and a fast way to get promoted to manager.

Would I do it again? Of course I would, but I would need to be desperate to work there again.

9 Likes

fuck that, get the in store staff to do that shit before they leave lol i hate when jobs are so general that they just make you do everything.

6 Likes

They would offer to help you if you gave them money at the end of the night. You could not even get them to store the food after the shift was over. There was pizza screens, pans, used parchment paper for the sandwichs strewn all over the place. We used corn meal to keep the dough from sticking to the prep tables, and it got every where. You bitch, the owner would tell you to leave and go home. You don't return, you bitch to the managers they write you up.

get the health board to look them up, ur a driver just say u dont know shit about food sanitation you shouldnt be cleaning that up :P as far as the managers being shitty...i don't understand why managers do that because its not like they are safe after hours if they piss the wrong person off lol

That was a few years ago. The franchise owner now looks after his workers. They close that store up in an hour. That is with a team.

Talking about the health department. When toppings fall into the refrigerated drawers in the make line, we have to collect them and put them back into the fresh stock. Completely okay by health department regulations.

1 Like

That isn't illegal in the US?

I mean, in jobs that involve driving vehicles, not having mandatory breaks is kinda dangerous for the workers and everyone around them. Especially when you have to juggle between both day and night shifts in the same week, your sleep schedule gets dangerously fucked up, leading to decreased situational awareness overall.

My dad is a long-distance trucker that usually does shipping to and from the US across the border., and they have very strictly regulated rest hours while on the US side, though that's probably specific to 18-wheelers and not every job that involves vehicular deliveries.

1 Like

Short distance you can drive till you drop.

Thanks for sharing. It was a good read.
You truly never understand how gruelling a job like that can be until you've done it!

I hope you're doing something you enjoy now

1 Like

But you da delivery driver.

You telling me, you not only touched my food. But also cleaned the bathrooms, mopped and did the dishes? Ya'll nasty. Can't they hire a specific person to do the cleaning?

It is quite fine for someone to clean a bathroom, mop, sweep, (etc) then handle food as long as they properly wash their hands. You go to McDonald's, chances are the person who hands you your food, cleaned the bathroom at one point during their shift.

Fast food restaurants wont hire janitors cause they want the employees to do it.

1 Like

Oh and my old name tag, so this serves as a legit blog.

1 Like

This right here is why i would never deliver food.

1 Like

Alright... Adam.
dramatic pause
If that's even you real name !

4 Likes

My favorite is when they refuse to turn the porch lights on, then call or come in with an attitude after we didn't show up, this after the store called them and asked them to turn the light on because the driver couldn't find their house, and being told that if they did not turn on the porch light they would not get their pizza.

Pizza is fucking hell.

2 Likes

FTFY

What do you guys do with the pizza that doesn't get to the customer?

We would usually let it sit on the heat rack for 30 minutes (once getting back to the store, or 30 minutes total if it was a pick-up order that never showed) and if someone ordered something that was the same, they'd get that pizza.

Maybe give it to the homeless guy who would occasionally stop in to see if we had anything people hadn't picked up (he was always really nice and polite. After a bad winter we didn't see him again). Beyond that? It would feed the pack of raccoons that lived in our dumpster. We didn't take trash out at night there were so many of the little fuckers.

You just reminded me of Craig Ferguson..

God how I miss him on the late late show, James Corden sucks