Computers are fun and easy time saving devices!

Hi there!

You might remember me from such fun threads as my first watercooling loop.

The last three days have been super exciting as I was wondering just WTH was going on with that loop. Temps were climbing, but not terrible - then on a compression run CPU temps started spiking to 100C; not cool at all.

Take a day to chill, do deep breaths, play some rdr2 on my laptop and generally swear at things for a while. Today I disconnected everything, tried the pump with each component over the sink; which is always my favourite way to play with electrical parts. Find out that my original supposition of my pump dying very early, in less than a year, was wrong, and that my CPU block had suddenly grown a wealth of new life, enough to block all pressure from passing.

Here’s some pics for fun:

Can’t clean a CPU block without the Crest!

2 Rads and GPU Block in the sink, getting their drain on. Hmm, maybe there’s some sort of song in there :confused:

5 Likes

It’s so nice seeing someone that doesen’t have access to unlimited hardware going through maintenance with such calm.

I get already stressed the fuck out with just regular air cooling, I’d be dead if a watercooling loop acted funky.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if calm accurately describes my full state the last few days, I was low key freaking out, but i’ll gladly cop to being calm if questioned about it at a later date :blush:

2 Likes

time saving in a way yes unless you are working on a repeat offenders computer!
( one who keeps going to virus laden sites even after you warned them to stay away from them) and you have to keep cleaning the same garbage out!
or those who bring you a seriously screwed up system that ends up eating a lot of your inventory.
they don’t want to buy a new system (even though it might actually be less expensive!)
but yes repeated tasks that can be easily handled with custom templates does make things faster.

Give your repeat offender a USB stick with a live Linux ISO on it (Solus boots quickly). And tell her to use it when going to the nether regions of the Internet, or else!

Did you not have growth inhibitors in the water?

I did, but either my ratio was too low (it was closer to 1:8 than the recommended 1:4) or my system getting sunlight in the mornings proved Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park right; Life will find a way.

I’m looking on the bright side of this happening, for now, and taking care of some maintenance and upgrades that I had been putting off while waiting for some additive to arrive in the post.

The power button in my case had a loose wire, so I finally got around to soldering it in place; now I won’t have to use the power button on my motherboard to power up the system in the future.

There was a sale on NVME storage here in Canuckland, so I ditched my spinning rust, which should, hopefully, be an improvement when dealing with large image sets and rebuilding video files from them.

I’m also waiting on a Tap and Die from a tool supplier here in town so I can attempt a case mod. I am going to see if I can mount my pump/res horizontally on my PSU shroud and create a better drain line with quick connects.

1 Like

Minor update:

My tap arrived sooner than expected, so I connected the pump/res to the GPU block to figure out where it should be, and made threaded holes to mount it.

Pics:

Yes I know it’s not aligned here, i started to pull it out, then stopped to take a pic, but didn’t bother to re-align everything.

pump/res mounted with all new threaded holes tapped into the PSU shroud

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.